The mkiv Supra Owners Club

A little advice please

m4dsup

Hi guys,

I'm potentially about to pull the trigger on a 95 RZ TT6 Manual but there are a couple of things i'm hung up on;

1. It's pre facelift and of course pre VVTi. I was focused on getting a post facelift and preferably a VVTi initially and spending a little more but this one seemed worth a look. It has had a good quality respray, paperwork is good and wheels, tyres, coilovers and brakes are new. Are these generally worth less and less desirable or is it not so much of an issue and condition is king?

2. The interior is tired. The car as only done 119k reading in KM but no doubt has been counting in miles for a while. The plastics are all shot and the cloth seats have had it. They let the car down but I keep telling myself that leather seats should be easy enough to get hold of as well as plastics and it's still worth buying the car.

I think there is also an element of the asking price of the car £16.5k and my knowing that it will easily stand me at £20k before I'm happy or potentially a lot more once I do a decent single conversion which is inevitable really. I also have a skyline and rx7 which are both faster and more agile than the supra in question so I am essentially spending a lot of money just to fulfill my long time desire to own one of these, even though the power (BPU 410hp) and the overall handling doesn't excite me.

I am finding myself questioning is it worth it for such an old car despite having a lot of love for these cars. Perhaps I should wait for a good single turbo one.

I would really appreciate some thoughts on this, particularly if any of you have found yourself in a similar position.

Cheers

I would be thinking seriously hard, perhaps tapping up some members who might sell if the price was right.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?331767-10-years-ownership-!!!!

Prefacelift might even be the better choice, the diffs are larger/stronger, the throttle bodies give no issues (vvti's aren't unreliable but their fbw throttles can give issues) but I think you are right condition it king.

I would be thinking seriously hard, perhaps tapping up some members who might sell if the price was right.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?331767-10-years-ownership-!!!!

Prefacelift might even be the better choice, the diffs are larger/stronger, the throttle bodies give no issues (vvti's aren't unreliable but their fbw throttles can give issues) but I think you are right condition it king.

Thanks for this, it's really helpful. I wasn't aware of the diffs but the seller did mention it had the "bigger" diff. I thought he was referring to the LSD. I checked the VIN plate and it does state it has the LSD & V160 from factory. I was a little uncertain as the paperwork suggested it was an SZ. I shot Jurgen a message as he apparently imported it but no reply from him regarding it. Given the details on the VIN, I am happy it's an RZ.

I have seen lots of amazing examples on here so I think you're right, I'll perhaps shoot send some messages out asking them if they'll sell. I would much prefer a car that is already single and with the interior and exterior to my liking as I'm not looking for a project really.

I suppose I could add the facelift tail lights, which I prefer, to any pre facelift car without much bother anyway.

It's not a 6 speed but it's single (http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?332803-1994-S362-single-turbo-auto) and certainly a good base for upgrading should you want to change anything .

Nice TT6 here - http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?334283-1996-Facelift-TT6-Gunmetal-440bhp the owner might be coerced into selling again unless they have found the love.

Edited by Frank Bullitt
Links added. (see edit history)

I suppose I could add the facelift tail lights, which I prefer, to any pre facelift car without much bother anyway.

Minor details like this your talking hundreds rather than thousands so best to find the car you really want and then do the minor changes that you are after if you are not wanting a project. Easy to recommend though at the end of the day its how you feel in your gut, gotta be happy with the one you choose :)

He was, the LSD's are bigger in the early cars.

It sounds like you have the budget to perhaps interest an owner, trying to think of any wavering owners of singles!

I would i'm just not sure who the single owners are. I'll put up a wanted thread for a single 6 speed and see if I get any response to it.

It's not a 6 speed but it's single (http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?332803-1994-S362-single-turbo-auto) and certainly a good base for upgrading should you want to change anything .

Nice TT6 here - http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?334283-1996-Facelift-TT6-Gunmetal-440bhp the owner might be coerced into selling again unless they have found the love.

I've seen this car advertised. It seems like a great car but I am certain i don't want an auto and I also don't want to go through the conversion process. Given the cost of a V160 conversion, it's better to buy a manual imho. That car is perfect for someone happy to keep it auto or do a cheaper manual conversion perhaps.

I went to see the second car but we couldn't reach a deal. Given the work that it needed, I wasn't inclined to push my offer either. I believe he is now going to do the bits it needs and I may consider it down the line but the one in hand is definitely a good one and ticks the boxes for condition but is a BPU TT6. I'm just in two minds really.

My thoughts right now are more about the cost of it once I've fitted a decent sized single kit, clutch, ECU, fueling and tuning, which will probably add another £10k.

The other cars that I have been considering buying right now instead are a C63 AMG, E92 M3 DCT or a GTR. They are vastly different to the Supra and cost wise the first two sit around £25k, the GTR around £45k. I want to fulfill my Supra desire but as I don't have anything modern, practical and fast right now, the others are really tempting me away.

I love my existing jap cars but I have found myself not going to meets, shows, long drives to wales or Europe and such due to reliability worries and overall difficulty of use. Having recently driven to Italy and back in a C63 with performance pack and to Germany and back in a 750hp F10 M5, the idea of a comfortable sports car is back on my mind.

Apples and oranges I know but this is the predicament I find myself in. I can't have them all unfortunately.