The mkiv Supra Owners Club

RHHP to Flywheel power?

Chris Bailey

So a few months ago we had the supra dyno'd. These were the figures at Abbey Motorsport on the hub dyno.

654rwhp on V-Power

708rwhp on E70

Would anyone have a rough idea what the loss is for autos? Roughly 15%?

I'd like to know a rough figure for the flywheel power, I'd imagine 750+bhp on Ethanol.

*Once the stage 4 SRD box is fitted it will be going back on the dyno*

Edited by Chris Bailey (see edit history)

Pretty sure it's loosely 15% on manuals, and 18% on autos bud.

But, when mine was mapped on the hub dyno, I was told that the power figure given was fwhp despite being measured at the hubs. I can't remember the reason why?

This was from torque developments

Autos are notoriously difficult to get accurate engine numbers from. Stick with RWHP as that's power to the ground and is all that matters :D

As above, I be over the moon saying my car is 708RWHP

It's only when your car not pushing much power like mine (BPU) then we say what the fly wheel is lol

When people ask how much power my car has I always give them a wheel horsepower figure not the flywheel one, anyone else the same? Seems a bit deceiving saying a power number that never reaches the ground lol

/QUOTE]

Manufactures don't so why bother. If you bought the new Dodge Challenger hellcat with what they say is 707bhp, if asked what power does it have would you say to them "ooh 600" ... Hell no ha.

Guest Budz86

I've always quoted the hub figures as a lot of people I know have used abbey and it's just become the benchmark as there are no variables. Plus, as people say the whole percentage loss to calculate the fly figure is just a guess. There is also the whole argument that it shouldn't be a percentage at all as you would have the same amount of loss regardless of how much power you're making overall.

I've always quoted the hub figures as a lot of people I know have used abbey and it's just become the benchmark as there are no variables. Plus, as people say the whole percentage loss to calculate the fly figure is just a guess. There is also the whole argument that it shouldn't be a percentage at all as you would have the same amount of loss regardless of how much power you're making overall.

/QUOTE]

How much power is yours at the rear hubs?

When people ask how much power my car has I always give them a wheel horsepower figure not the flywheel one, anyone else the same? Seems a bit deceiving saying a power number that never reaches the ground lol

I like being part of the 700 club... don't take this away from me :p haha