The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Clear self healing car wrap

GlennK

I hear that there is some new 'self healing' transparent wrap that is fitted on top end cars...

Anyone use this at all for the Supra - so existing templates are available and that workmanship can be seen...

If its the same stuff I got for my smartphone then it's pretty damn good..but for a car??

There's a place in Peterborough does it with the 3M self-healing film. No templates for the Supra. I asked how much to do a Supra front bumper as a one-off and was quoted £2K!

Cheaper to spray the bumper 6 times a year!

More crap. Any vinyl thats applied over paint, properly. Will damage the paint. Period.

Sorry mate, but that's nonsense.

I've fitted tons of wraps and also removed my fair share to know that factory paint/sound respray will not be damaged by vinyl.

Sorry mate, but that's nonsense.

I've fitted tons of wraps and also removed my fair share to know that factory paint/sound respray will not be damaged by vinyl.

As far as im aware, you have to heat the vinyl to get it to stick properly to the clearcoat. Thats going to damage the paint. Obviously if you do a botch and just wipe and stick it on, itll peel off wont it.

As far as im aware, you have to heat the vinyl to get it to stick properly to the clearcoat. Thats going to damage the paint. Obviously if you do a botch and just wipe and stick it on, itll peel off wont it.

Paint is cured using an oven using heat in the first place. 90 degrees (post heating temperature during application) won't do any damage at all. Cars in other countries get hotter just being parked in the sun!

You cannot use heat on venture shield as it will 'white-out' if over stretched. Generally it is either hand cut on a bench using templates and applied to a vehicle or a vehicle outline is downloaded and used to create a kit that is cut via a plotter.

There's a place in Peterborough does it with the 3M self-healing film. No templates for the Supra. I asked how much to do a Supra front bumper as a one-off and was quoted £2K!

Cheaper to spray the bumper 6 times a year!

That.

It is phenomenally expensive.

The types of cars you see it fitted to are high end, very valuable cars.

Cheaper to get the paint touched up as and when required.

I had the front of my Supra covered in Venture shield by one of their authorised fitters and it was crap, the photo is at my

mates body shop peeling the horrid stuff off not too long after it was fitted, it didn't damage the paint removing it.

I was that unimpressed when I went to collect the car I refused to pay for it, was a shocking job, shame I didn't take some close

up photos showing how shit this stuff is

DSCF0804.jpg

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

The trouble with Venture shield even if its been applied properly it just doesn't polish up like paint does.

I'd never bother with it again, i was told you'd never tell it had been covered which simply isn't true.

The trouble with Venture shield even if its been applied properly it just doesn't polish up like paint does.

I'd never bother with it again, i was told you'd never tell it had been covered which simply isn't true.

Why would you want to polish it?

If it's doing its job correctly all I thought it needed was a regular soft shampoo hose down....

Why would you want to polish it?

If it's doing its job correctly all I thought it needed was a regular soft shampoo hose down....

Because it looked dull in comparison to the paintwork and i was told it could be polished with normal car polish by the company

that fitted it.

It might have improved since mine was done and i might have got a crap fitter, where mine went into the mouth of the front bumper

it was all wrinkled, it was shockingly crap and nothing like what the sales blurb says, it goes round sharp corners no problem, well it

didn't on my car

That's a real shame Dunk. It definitely sounds like poor fitting, but I'm unsure as to why it looked dull.

This M3 was done by myself and a former work colleague last year. As you can see from the pictures, the finish is very high quality.

One to show the door and rear quarter finished. Side skirt undergoing application.

Lastly, the bonnet.

That looks neat mate.

The finish looks the same as the stuff on my smartphone screen..if it is it has a soft skin feel to it.

How long does it take to get the car body done? And would you cover the black rubber bits and the headlights?

big supes i agree with you

i am a vinyl wrapper my self have been doing it for 8 years

the best way to wrap a car is minimal heat the less heat the better everyone thinks you heat stretch stick and cut well no thats wrong thats where shrinking happens and your car all shrinks back when youve paid and its in the sun - any one can make a car look good wrapped for a day the way to do it is make it look as good as it leaves the unit 4 years later

manufactures paint - A quality branded product ie avery 3m hexis arlon will not damage the paint period !!

if its had a respray then i always tell the customers there is a chance it may lift the paint which it can as its not manufactures paint and they sign a waver so they know and the installer is covered

i have wrapped and removed the wrap from cars which have had paint work and yes sometimes the laqure has lifted as well as paint but this doesn't happen all the time if correct brand is used , however if Chinese super sticky crap wrap is used on a car thats had paint work then it would more than likely take the paint clean off guaranteed

now the clear wrap self healing i use the suntek self heal and the xpel awsome stuff same again as above on the painting issue (suntek and xpel is made for paint protection) and iv never had an issue

2k for a supra bumper is basically them pulling down your pants and spanking you !! i know there is no pre cut panels but ... with the suntek you can use it as a wrap so a supra bumper can be done

i did a Nissan GTR front bumper with lip pre cut and fitted for £300 drive in drive out full Nissan gtr front end including mirrors,wings, bonnet roof strip £1000 drive in drive out

This stuff will not damage manufacture paint also unless car has had paintwork and it self heals really good ! unlike hexis and 3m there paint protection is pretty shit in my opinion they just want there fingers in all the pies and should just stick to the color changes and print material

i use suntek and xpel as all they do is tint and paint protection and concentrate on making there product better constantly

big supes i agree with you

i am a vinyl wrapper my self have been doing it for 8 years

the best way to wrap a car is minimal heat the less heat the better everyone thinks you heat stretch stick and cut well no thats wrong thats where shrinking happens and your car all shrinks back when youve paid and its in the sun - any one can make a car look good wrapped for a day the way to do it is make it look as good as it leaves the unit 4 years later

manufactures paint - A quality branded product ie avery 3m hexis arlon will not damage the paint period !!

if its had a respray then i always tell the customers there is a chance it may lift the paint which it can as its not manufactures paint and they sign a waver so they know and the installer is covered

i have wrapped and removed the wrap from cars which have had paint work and yes sometimes the laqure has lifted as well as paint but this doesn't happen all the time if correct brand is used , however if Chinese super sticky crap wrap is used on a car thats had paint work then it would more than likely take the paint clean off guaranteed

now the clear wrap self healing i use the suntek self heal and the xpel awsome stuff same again as above on the painting issue (suntek and xpel is made for paint protection) and iv never had an issue

2k for a supra bumper is basically them pulling down your pants and spanking you !! i know there is no pre cut panels but ... with the suntek you can use it as a wrap so a supra bumper can be done

i did a Nissan GTR front bumper with lip pre cut and fitted for £300 drive in drive out full Nissan gtr front end including mirrors,wings, bonnet roof strip £1000 drive in drive out

This stuff will not damage manufacture paint also unless car has had paintwork and it self heals really good ! unlike hexis and 3m there paint protection is pretty shit in my opinion they just want there fingers in all the pies and should just stick to the color changes and print material

i use suntek and xpel as all they do is tint and paint protection and concentrate on making there product better constantly

Hi mate, I started with a new company a few months ago and they're slowly moving me into the office so I'm not on the tools as much anymore, but I'll always be passionate about wrapping. It's an art form. It's just a shame there are so many cowboys out there these days.

I haven't used Suntek or Xpel before, but I'll keep them in mind should I ever do any homers. :thumbs: