The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Going Manual - The Big Decision?!

Big Supes

Hi peeps,

I'm having trouble deciding which route to take between a V160 conversion and the T56 Magnum.

The V160 offers the OE factor, but then again, I do not have any plans to sell the car. It's also very expensive for a 20 year old box and with parts becoming scarce. Having been quoted £3500 - £4500 for the box alone (no shifter) this leads me to the next option...

The T56 Magnum Supra conversion kit offers a brand new gearbox that is stronger than the V160 and can be delivered to my door (complete conversion kit) for just over 6k. Parts are readily available should I encounter any issues years on down the line.

I have no idea which way to go...

:confused:

Edited by Big Supes (see edit history)

T56 has been proven to work on a 1500bhp drag supra that gets alot of abuse. Although the V160 is a great box, its hard to source the parts these days incase something goes wrong. Where as the T56 you can still source parts for. I'd be different and go for the T56 option. But then again I'd prefer a built auto for half the price ;)

T56 has been proven to work on a 1500bhp drag supra that gets alot of abuse. Although the V160 is a great box, its hard to source the parts these days incase something goes wrong. Where as the T56 you can still source parts for. Maybe be different and go for the T56 option. But then again I'd prefer a built auto for half the price ;)

T56 has been proven to work on a 1500bhp drag supra that gets alot of abuse. Although the V160 is a great box, its hard to source the parts these days incase something goes wrong. Where as the T56 you can still source parts for. I'd be different and go for the T56 option. But then again I'd prefer a built auto for half the price ;)

I hear you, Chris. As much as I respect, and would enjoy a built auto, the good old stick shifter is just something I can't be without.

saved the link for that T56 :) personally id go t56. its new parts available. 6k does that include the clutch , driveshaft and shipping?

Yep. All of the above. :) Let's be honest though... 6k is still a lot of money for a gearbox...

Dare I say the T56 could be considered an upgrade to the V160/1? If I wanted a manual the T56 is the way I'd be going.

This was my line of thinking as well. Apparently, it's a really nice gearbox to operate as well.

Hmm... I'm feeling more confident about going in this direction...

I would probably part with my conversion: v161, twin plate carbon clutch, one piece phr prop, large case manual diff. But then again that would be 6k ish to be honest.

Damn you Chris. :D I'm could be tempted if you would be willing to negotiate a reasonable deal (not sure if I would require the diff).

Rather than look at it like that why not look at it as £4500 is a lot of money for a 2nd hand box with parts becoming obsolete?

TBH Frank, I've struggle for years to part with anything over £3000 for a 20 year old box that has more than likely had a lot of abuse. I can't even begin to imagine the levels of anger and frustration if it shat itself a year or two down the line...

Would a BMW 420G getrag not be another option? I'm sure they're built extremely well and supposedly hold 1000+bhp and TQ, but then isn't it TQ which kills the box?

I know GyroDrift do that conversion and I think RocketDog in Cardiff do the same. I'm sure it would be cheaper than spending 6K on one of those boxes?

Sent from my LG G5

Damn you Chris. :D I'm could be tempted if you would be willing to negotiate a reasonable deal (not sure if I would require the diff).

pm me if you want. The 161 is low miles came from garage 786 or whatever it's called and was purchased for £3500 just for the box. You would want the diff as that prop fits a large case diff. Plus the 161 is very rare now too and better than the 160

This was my line of thinking as well. Apparently, it's a really nice gearbox to operate as well.

Hmm... I'm feeling more confident about going in this direction...

I guessing you will be the only one in Europe to be running the T56 so I can understand your apprehension with the outlay.

If you haven't already done so, it maybe worth your while popping up a thread in the US Supraforums to see if you can chat to some of their members with first hand experience of the box. At the end of the day it can't be worse than the agricultural OEM 6 speed :D

TBH Frank, I've struggle for years to part with anything over £3000 for a 20 year old box that has more than likely had a lot of abuse. I can't even begin to imagine the levels of anger and frustration if it shat itself a year or two down the line...

I don't think you are alone in that. Whilst spares were readily available a few years ago it almost made the price acceptable. But now...not a chance.

Edited by Frank Bullitt (see edit history)

Would a BMW 420G getrag not be another option? I'm sure they're built extremely well and supposedly hold 1000+bhp and TQ, but then isn't it TQ which kills the box?

I know GyroDrift do that conversion and I think RocketDog in Cardiff do the same. I'm sure it would be cheaper than spending 6K on one of those boxes?

Sent from my LG G5

It's certainly been reviewed... I have a 420g currently sat in my lounge. :D

I guess I need to see more of the conversion to make an informed decision. All of the custom parts that are required put me off, if I'm honest, and GyroDrift didn't want to discuss the conversion in depth with me as they were worried about information leaking. Personally, I know 90% of what is entailed, but when it comes to leaving my car with someone, I require 100% confidence in their knowhow and what is going to be undertaken (not to say they don't know what they're doing).

pm me if you want. The 161 is low miles came from garage 786 or whatever it's called and was purchased for £3500 just for the box. You would want the diff as that prop fits a large case diff. Plus the 161 is very rare now too and better than the 160

Ok mate. Let me ponder on this and I'll come back to you. Did the seller guarantee customer satisfaction once the box has been installed? If you could let me know your best price on the lot, I'll definitely consider it. :thumbs:

I guess I need to see more of the conversion to make an informed decision. All of the custom parts that are required put me off, if I'm honest, and GyroDrift didn't want to discuss the conversion in depth with me as they were worried about information leaking. Personally, I know 90% of what is entailed, but when it comes to leaving my car with someone, I require 100% confidence in their knowhow and what is going to be undertaken (not to say they don't know what they're doing).

Ok mate. Let me ponder on this and I'll come back to you. Did the seller guarantee customer satisfaction once the box has been installed? If you could let me know your best price on the lot, I'll definitely consider it. :thumbs:

When I get a supra make sure you keep that for me please! Not SMG is it?

Sent from my LG G5

yes, and I couldn't do it for any less tbh. The diff is £1k, clutch £2k, prop not far off £1k... Lol

When I get a supra make sure you keep that for me please! Not SMG is it?

Sent from my LG G5

It is. I opted for an SMG as it will (theoretically) have taken less abuse from the elimination of driver error in changing gears. Converting it to manual is very straight forward.

Both are a big undertaking. The T56 more so as you'd then be duty bound to run a conversion thread on here with many pics, gear/diff ratio choices, prop choices etc etc :)

Logic should dictate the T56. You'd be kicking yourself if something broke on a V16x as it'd be very difficult/expensive to repair even if you could find the parts which could take an age in itself.

Both are a big undertaking. The T56 more so as you'd then be duty bound to run a conversion thread on here with many pics, gear/diff ratio choices, prop choices etc etc :)

Logic should dictate the T56. You'd be kicking yourself if something broke on a V16x as it'd be very difficult/expensive to repair even if you could find the parts which could take an age in itself.

Haha, yes, it would be rude not to write up the whole conversion on the T56. ;)

The points you've raised regarding the OE 6sp boxes are all valid and definitely a big cause for concern.

I'm considering going manual within the next few years, and I wouldn't even consider a Toyota Getrag now. The T56 just seems like a much better option, supply is plentiful, still available new, can be rebuilt etc. A brand new Magnum box is circa £2500 plus shipping.

If these conversions work properly, and drive well, this is the best method of fitting a manual gearbox for any turbo Supra IMO.

If it was me it would be a choice between an R154 and the T56, a V160/161 swap just doesnt seem worth the risk anymore

R154 - cheaper option, relatively straight forward swap and it looks like replacement are parts still available.

T56 - shiny new but expensive option, better than getrag specs and certainly more interesting.

T56 every day. There's zero guarantee that a second hand box won't have issues once installed. I think everyone I have ever seen selling a gearbox says they are low mileage, no it really is... so you would want a moneyback guarantee from the sellver... which not many people would do unless it's from a legit company anyway.

On a sidenote, I really like the look of that kit! A brand spanking new cutting edge Tremec T56 magnum, with huge parts availability. Nice.

Hell, 6 grand?! Id get a built auto and pocket the 5 grand!

Where can I get a built auto for a grand??? !