The mkiv Supra Owners Club

What engine oil?

Guest Butane_Dan

Guest Butane_Dan

Hi guys, what's the best engine oil to use in a 95' n/a supra? (UK)

I've noticed on a next day start up that the oil light stays on for a couple of seconds and the engine sounds rough for that period before the oil must circulate and the light goes out. Is this a because of a cheap oil grade? Or maybe in need of a change? I only acquired the car a few weeks.

Appreciate any input.

Thanks

Oil wise the choice is yours really, pretty much all modern oils exceed the spec of the original, so it will fine, one thing to avoid is going too thick, as this will over work the oil pressure relief valve and make the pump work harder, and if the pump is work it will cause more leakage to the FMS, i always used a 10W40 semi synth.

Not sure about the rough sound, but the delay in making oil pressure could be just the oil grade, or a bad or partially blocked filter.

Guest Butane_Dan
I'd be doing an oil & filter change, what mileage has your car done, does it have any service history

Guys thanks for all you advise. She's done 107,000 km. Unfortunately the sell was the widow and although there is some service history her husband done much of the work himself. So there is no way of knowing

Guest Butane_Dan

I think I will do an oil change to be safe. And use a semi 10-40 as advised.

She seems to run well and been looked after. I paid £2,950 fodr her so there us still some left in the pot to do some basic matainence.