The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Upgrading OEM Throttle Body

Noz

Hows this? I have allays thought that intake and throttle size, only becomes a restriction when N/A, as soon as there is a positive pressure IE Boosted, the intake pipe/throttle body size is only a restriction when the boost/flow exceeds a certain amount.

IE pressurised can flow far more then non pressurised in the same pipe size/dia, before the size becomes a restriction.

Edited by Tricky-Ricky (see edit history)

If the pressure isn't increased, but the bottle neck areas are increased, then surely flow will increase. Thus easier to hit bhp figures with the same psi.

Perhaps a tweak for boost controller would be more power, but perhaps someone want's to increase power without doing that route.

Surely the pressure test is a measure for the quality of the seal, and setting the standard to meet if machining it out.

So got some material for a larger butterfly valve. As there isn't much material I expect I song be removing much material from the bore.

However. NA owners don't have access to any upgrades. So it'll be better than nothing.

How many NA owners have never changed anything? Most I expect.

Even 5hp overall with polished intake be better than nothing. I remember looking for plug and play mods for my own GE engine before I had a good job able to fund expensive boost.

The frequency of stroker kits on NA engines shows how affordable they are sadly.

Shame there isn't an upgraded intake and throttle setup which works and gives NA owners a small option, even for low hp gains.

So, finally got a jig made. Got the throttle body de assembled, going to give it a go next week regarding boring. Will be aiming for 2mm.

Be interesting to see how it works out on a Dyno.

Compared to boost, it's minor. But be great to just get a tiny bit more from the throttle body regarding flow, as NA owners don't have the funds for huge engine changes.