The mkiv Supra Owners Club

2JZ GTE Turbo #1 not engaging

Guest mustafa885

Guest mustafa885

Hi,

Greetings from Uganda. I have a 1999 Toyota Aristo with a stock 2JZ-GTE. I'm having a problem with the boost where the first turbo just doesn't engage. I get boost at about 3800 - 4000 RPM which is probably the second turbo kicking in.

At just below the 2000 RPM when the first turbo should go online, there's hesitation from the engine and further push of the pedal the engine picks up on RPM and accelerates without boost then at 3800 - 4000 RPM I get boost.

I hope to check these over the weekend. I assume that by the very mechanical nature of the components around this boost/vacuum system, they typically don't fail and it's almost always a leakage.

Is there anything you guys can pick up from my description where you could perhaps point me in the right direction? Also would be excellent if you can identify the specific tube or actuator that leads to the Turbo #1 where the problem could lie. Thanks

Regards

Mustafa

Guest mustafa885

That's what I though, Problem 4 on the link. I did replace the IACV but still no change.

Additionally I noticed that intermittently at revs below 2000 the engine sputters like a failing coil. Now not sure if the two are related. But I believe I have a soon failing coil. Could this in anyway be related to the Turbos?

Thanks