The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Hello!

Guest Ryangordon86

Guest Ryangordon86

Hi, Im Ryan, Im 18 and im from Livingston. Heard about the site from another Mk4 supra owner i know (cheers Ross!). I've just bought a 1997 mk4 TT supra in silver, getting it delivered on Wednesday :D don't have the power figures yet so its getting rr'd asap, im looking forward to see what power its putting out!

Welcome mate :)

Sounds like a nice car, good stuff! Im assuming you are importing/have had it/has been imported from Japan?

If you dont mind me asking, was your insurance a killer given your age? Im 10 years older than you and have a 97 spec Supra and it cost me an arm and a leg!

When you do get her though, be careful until you get used to her ;) she doesnt forgive mistakes very easily :)

Good news though, you must be very excited!

Guest Ryangordon86

Not yet, it is coming from Japan as we speak, i believe its running on 18's, apart from that the bodywork is standard. Ive decided to sacrifice alcohol, my insurance has almost doubled to £2800! I was driving a 1.2 16v clio (which is for sale!) before and paid £1600 a year so im thinking in comparison, i'd rather pay for the supra! Especially with it being a manual!

I dont think the power will be a problem once im used to it, driven fast cars before, 4wd mind you! i can see it being a bit scary in the wet at first, easy to say when ive not driven it! but all it takes a bit of sense to know that you dont boot a rear wheel drive 300+bhp car in the wet unless your name is Russ Swift!!!

I felt the need for power after having my mates 315bhp Impreza sti for a few days, gotta love the speed! cant wait to get it on the road and on the 1/4!

Guest Ryangordon86

Boy racer mentality is something i never had, don't see the point in showing off and risking the car you work and pay for to please someone else! I prefer to be seen as a modified car enthusiast than a boy racer ;)

Dont worry, i'll be taking it easily! I fancy keeping my liscence so i'll be racing at crail on the 1/4, thats all

Good man...good man....

Look forward to seeing you and your car on the road...

As others have said... the people here are friendly and always willing to help out... and I've only had my NA since October 2004...

PS : Don't let them talk you into any power upgrades *grin*, VERY slippery slope as I know...

Gav

Guest Ryangordon86

does anyone on here know of any other mkiv owners under 21, could do with speaking to them to find out who they're insured with, to see if i can beat this £2800 3rd party :rolleyes:

hope I didn't scare you yesterday..

at first i was thinking... it is a auto aint it :D then realised u had in manual mode ;)

i was glad to see i could still stick to your arse up motorway gaining bout a inch a minute :D

identical to what me and DB use to do lol

ill be up one time to see u all do it properly.....not in my car though lol :tongue:

hehehehe...

Manual all the way baby..... stops it shifting up a gear when running wide round a corner and suddenly loosing the power.....

Erm...hold on...we are trying to tell Ryan how he should drive the car carefully and not muck about *grin*....

Try A-Plan in thatcham (a bloke called Ollie), he is doing wonders for the few mods I'm having installed..

Gav

If i was 18 and getting a supra big power and in this not so dry weather. id get RLTC fitted, it will save your back end more then once im sure of it and will help you pull away faster in the wet rather then just spinning the wheels.

On insurance front. It may be cheaper to insure a 1litre banger (couple hundread quid to buy) u buy and keep off road to get ur no claims up and get ur dad to insure the supra with you as named driver. then when u hit 21, banger can be dumped and u have some useful no claims for cheaper insurance.

Guest Ryangordon86

I had thought about this but i dont think you can insure 2 cars with no claims, and i doubt i'd save too much on a new policy!

My gran got rid of her car last year and has full NCB, she said i could use that, its trying to convince the insurance companies that the car is actually hers, and not her 18 year old grandson that proves difficult! :rolleyes:

i might go through my girlfriend as she's 21, need to convince her first!!! :eyebrows:

well what i originally was gonna do....

buy a 1.1 fiesta E reg ...insured it as 3rd party (right thats my no claims going up for cheap)

was then gonna buy the sup, register it in dad's name and put me on as insured driver. (my dad had spare second policy with 1 yrs no claims already on so was cheaper already)

hope that helps.

Insure the supe in your nans name and u as named driver :flame: lol

Guest Ryangordon86

just got a quote from elephant (their decision to insure me seems to change daily!!!) with my girlfriend as main driver, and me named! £1300, thank you very much :read: thats less than i pay on a 1.2 clio!!!!! totally cheesin infront of the screen right now :read:

Guest Ryangordon86

i've been with her for 1 1/2 years and known her since i was 10 so i cant see her doing that. I'll just have to make it "her" car, i know who'll have the keys all the time anyway! I'll give her a shot every so often to keep her happy!