The mkiv Supra Owners Club

10 years in the making!

m4dsup

Hi guys,

After originally getting the JDM bug over a decade ago by passing by a local supra owned by ex-member Ro on here, I am finally ready to buy my own supra.

I did actually start my JDM path going off to buy a RZ all those years ago with 12k in my hand but it was tired and the beautiful RX7 parked next to it took my attention. Fast forward ten years on and although I still own the 7 and a skyline I bought 9 years ago, I now want to complete my dream "holy trinity" (no not that one) and buy a supra.

I have been to see about 4 over the years, none of which I was taken with. These were all RZ models but ranged from stock/BPU through to twin single. As prices seem to have crept up over the years, I am presently in the market for a TT6, preferably UK (i know these aren't plentiful in supply) and ideally BPU, with a view to going single in the future in order to achieve around 500hp.

I have spotted some single turbo manual cars such as the car that SVA Imports are selling on ebay but cynical side tells me that sub £20k single turbo cars will not be in as good order as I would like.

Do you guys have any advice you could offer or any cars you could point me in the direction of?

Thanks in advance. :D

Hi mate

Welcome to the forum and good man!

Check out the classified sections on here. There's a lovely Tiptronic TT for sale in Gunmetal grey from Broomie. It's not a Manual and needs a little TLC but definitely worth a look for the price.

Expect to pay around £15k-£17k for a good Stock/BPU TT6spd, maybe even more for a low mileage example like the one below.

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/toyota/supra/toyota-supra-rz-6-speed-twin-turbo-low-mileage-fresh-import-very-good-condition/5813160?v=c

This one from Jurgen looks great, JM Imports are a trader on the forum and very well respected by all.

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/toyota/supra/1999-toyota-supra-rz-s-fresh-import-due-may-2016/5603465?v=c

UK specs are indeed rarer and very hard to come by. Took me a couple of years to find one I wanted.

Expect to pay north of £25k for a well setup single manual, especially with new tech.

Good luck with your search :)

Greg

Thanks for the reply Greg. That is exactly my thinking.

I've noticed the prices creep up over the years but more importantly, I've noticed the market slow in terms of the availability of good used Supras.

I know JM and Jurgen and I've checked out that 1999 one he has. I am very tempted by it but funnily enough, I have contacted cheekymonkey about his one and I am seeing it tonight. Fingers crossed it checks out.

One other that has caught my attention is this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toyota-Supra-RZ-/222033775702?hash=item33b23e8c56:g:ZF0AAOSwezVWzwMC Just not sure about it. Seems a good spec and in good order.

One other that has caught my attention is this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toyota-Supra-RZ-/222033775702?hash=item33b23e8c56:g:ZF0AAOSwezVWzwMC Just not sure about it. Seems a good spec and in good order.

Are you set on having a factory RZ? Reason I ask is that looks like an RZ-S to me. That company have advertised a few like that. They had a white RZ-S listed as an RZ not long ago.

Personally I'd always be cautious about buying an already single turbod car. Unless there is lots of paperwork with that sva one with receipts for known manufacturers/installers/quality parts, I'd be much happier buying the stock one from JM and taking it from there. Knowing that any work done was to my satisfaction.

Thanks for the input guys. My preference is definitely to go buy a car from a private owner who is an enthusiast rather than a trader. That said, given the few cars around, I am certainly exploring my options.

I went to see cheeky monkey's car yesterday and unfortunately didn't bring it home with me. It needed a few too many things and we haven't worked out a deal as yet. I've had a few pm's regarding cars so hopefully something will come up. If nothing does in the next couple of weeks, I think I may finally close the curtain on this and just buy a GTR.

I went to see cheeky monkey's car yesterday and unfortunately didn't bring it home with me. It needed a few too many things and we haven't worked out a deal as yet.

Was really good to see you yesterday and you do know your stuff - a real pleasure to deal with. For the benefit of other readers who don't have any context it was explained that as per my advert the car isn't 100% ready to be sold just yet and there were a couple of areas which will be attended to before any sale.

However not liking the AVS Model 5 wheels is on you only *grin*

Good luck with the search!

Was really good to see you yesterday and you do know your stuff - a real pleasure to deal with. For the benefit of other readers who don't have any context it was explained that as per my advert the car isn't 100% ready to be sold just yet and there were a couple of areas which will be attended to before any sale.

However not liking the AVS Model 5 wheels is on you only *grin*

Good luck with the search!

Agreed, it does need work to prepare it for sale and it's great that you intend to do those things before it's sold. Certainly nothing that can't be sorted but I had to just assess it as it stood on the day.

I can't say I like the model 5's :taped: but the reason I factored them in on the items that need attention was not based on the style of the wheels, it was the condition as unfortunately the brake dust has eaten the finish, particularly at the rear. I hope it didn't come across that it was just the design of them.