The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Aerotop - stay TT or go single?

BlackWatch66

Hi guys, i'm currently in the process of doing lots of work to my Black '95 TT auto Aero, such as valve stems, subframe recon, polybush, new brake lines, Etc.

After having the turbos off for a recon I had a thought about maybe going single.

I was going to keep it as standard as possible as I understand that the factory TT Aeros are quite sought after, so basically my question is:

Would Single turbo conversion + all the ancillary parts (FMIC, etc) detract from the desirability and value of this car in the future, compared to keeping it standard as possible?

Non biased answers would be much appreciated :D

thanks

It's hard to say. A buyer who knows his stuff, who can see that your modified Supra has been done with proper thought and care, with only the highest quality parts used will KNOW that in reality it is still worth the same money as a stock equivalent, maybe even a bit more, but then you have the other side of the spectrum which will always be 'OEM will fetch the most money.' In my opinion, as long as modifications aren't bodged, then a buyer can't poke holes in your car and get it for less than they'd be able to get a stock equivalent for. They're paying for newer, higher quality parts that make the car go faster... As an example, only an idiot / OEM whore would pay 20k for a totally stock TT6 if they could get a properly converted single turbo for the exact same money.

It's hard to say. A buyer who knows his stuff, who can see that your modified Supra has been done with proper thought and care, with only the highest quality parts used will KNOW that in reality it is still worth the same money as a stock equivalent, maybe even a bit more, but then you have the other side of the spectrum which will always be 'OEM will fetch the most money.' In my opinion, as long as modifications aren't bodged, then a buyer can't poke holes in your car and get it for less than they'd be able to get a stock equivalent for. They're paying for newer, higher quality parts that make the car go faster... As an example, only an idiot / OEM whore would pay 20k for a totally stock TT6 if they could get a properly converted single turbo for the exact same money.

Not everyone is into modifications, regardless of being an OEM whore or not. If you are serious about keeping the value of your car for sale in the future, then don't modify it simple as that, just keep it in good nick.

Car investors and supra fanatics will pay a premium for an unmolested model.

Ever noticed how all the big spec supra's get broken yet all the stock models sell ;)

I would have bought a properly sorted single if there was any available at the time I bought mine. Condition was the most important to me though and the only singles available at the time were rusty as hell. Turned out mine was pretty much stock and I still got it purely based on condition. I've been the one to modify it performance wise. I wouldn't have even changed to hybrids if it wasn't for the fact my OEM turbos blew up lol so to me I don't think it matters whether it's single or OEM as long as the car is in as good a condition as possible that's what matters

Don't build the car someone else would want...build the car YOU want!

I often see people on here telling others to do this and that and not do this etc to their cars, let people do what they want, it is their money.

If the car was bought as a potential investment then yes, stock may bring an easier slae and profit in time. If it was bought to enjoy and modify then modify away and enjoy it. Someone will always pay good money for Stock and Big Single Supras.

If you're thinking of single, I'd go small single and get the response without damaging the box or needing a ridiculously hi-stall converter. Basically, a GTX35R for 550bhp and awesome response.

:yeahthat:

If you're prepared and can afford to spend many many £K's on quality parts and all the necessary ancillaries needed then I'd go for it, if you're thinking about doing it on a budget I wouldn't, I'd keep it stock.

Edited by Nic (see edit history)

Everybody has their own opinion. There is no wrong or right. What I did is found a fully stock TwinTurbo six speed which was very difficult. My plan is to put a small single turbo running a modest 400-600horse. Mild I say. I would strictly do bolt ons, ecu and fuel mods. I would not get into engine work. Just me thou. But to answer your question my opinion is a highly modded car would be driven hard. I'm one of those that looks at mine in the garage. I know no fun lol. Good luck

6 speed aero single. Some would say this is the ultimate supra form then again I'm biased on that opinion :)

Ultimately if the single conversion is done with best parts and to the highest of standards no it won't detract from value.

If your not chasing power then don't bother? If you want smiles then do it :)

Personally I don't see what the big deal is...

Box up the twins, ecu, injectors, stock exhaust, cooler, fuel rail, stock wheels, fuel pump (if pedantic).

Chuck the box in the shed, then bring on the single build!

As others have already said build the car you want and then worry about resale later, I'm assuming you're not planning on selling in the next 6 months lol

Edited by Mimesis (see edit history)