The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Not happy with recent MOT station visit!

supra_24

Ok Guys, I am actually extremely annoyed by this!

I took the Supra for an MOT to Mels Motors in Bracknell industrial estate the other day as they came recommended.

The Supra unfortunately did not pass emissions at this time, fair enough, i will resolve this.

However, I have just noticed today, that they have uploaded images of my car to their facebook page WITHOUT my expressed permission and written about it in a manner i find to be out of order! (Also clearly displaying my number plate)

Please see below image and I would be grateful to hear your opinions.

Can anyone advise on where I can go from here?

toyota supra - mels motors - image 2 - edited.jpg

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Instead of writing this here, why don't you pick up the phone or message the guy who runs the place and ask him to take it down. Why is this even an issue?

I just thought I would gain some advice on hear of what direction to take first. As said, they shouldnt be randomly uploading peoples vehicle details to their website/facebook pages.

It also may be helpful to anyone who was potentially looking into booking with them. A friendly word of warning. That was all :)

I posted on there. Didn't think it was appropriate to talk about someone's car that way regardless if they're a member. Definitely won't be taking my car there! Thanks for the warning

/QUOTE]

That's why i posted this up as I felt quite annoyed about it all. I happily went there on recommendation and didn't say or do anything to them, so why do the above to me?

That's why i posted this up as I felt quite annoyed about it all. I happily went there on recommendation and didn't say or do anything to them, so why do the above to me?

It would be like me saying "mels garage.. Didn't think much of it, at least if it sets on fire, it'll be burning a crap heap"

why did it fail out of interest? Car looks mega clean

It would be like me saying "mels garage.. Didn't think much of it, at least if it sets on fire, it'll be burning a crap heap"

why did it fail out of interest? Car looks mega clean

/QUOTE]

They tested it under a CAT test and it was over by 1%. Even though its passed its previous MOT's with the same decatted setup. Tried explaining it was an import, but they were using data from a UK Spec i believe as a CAT test.

Is your car an NA?

If so it would be a non cat test.

If it's turbo, it has to pass a cat test.

Regardless if it's an import or not, the test is the same.

Pretty sure it's regardless of being turbo. It gets tested at a basic minimum emissions level. Which most supras should pass.

His post almost makes it sound like he doesn't like the car. Wouldn't be surprised he tested it wrong for that reason.

Bit un-professional posting which cars fail whilst ripping the car. I'd be having a word.

Al, the cat test is different for imports, only the UK supra has emissions mentioned in the mot book.

It needs to be less than 3% or whatever it is. rather than the normal cat test of 0.3 (figures might be wrong) but the pre 97 cat test is lower values, only the early 93's can get away with no cat at all.

Edited by Ric (see edit history)

From what I can see there you use the default limits?

/QUOTE]

Correct.

Registered K - L reg - No cat required, 3%

Registered 1aug 1994 and 31july 1995 (M Reg) - No cat required, 3%

Registered M onwards after 31 july 1995 default cat test 0.3%

Correct.

Registered K - L reg - No cat required, 3%

Registered 1aug 1994 and 31july 1995 (M Reg) - No cat required, 3%

Registered M onwards after 31 july 1995 default cat test 0.3%

And if I'm right the UK spec supra has a lower tolerance?

Meaning if it was incorrectly tested as a uk spec then the MOT test is invalid

Yeah the UK spec has specific limits in the MOT emissions book, probably lower than 0.3, perhaps higher, i don't know the actual values. But yes None UK cars must be tested as such with the values above based on their registration year.

Would be a pain arguing with a test station though..

I would not be happy if a garage had done that to mine that's for sure, I would be straight on the phone to them... though they have kind of shot them selves in the foot..

I would be re-posting that up saying If a company enjoys doing this to people pride and joy I wonder I wonder how much pride they take in there work

I would not use them after them doing that.

/QUOTE]

yeah thats what im thinking. My V5C clearly states that my supra was first manufactured and registered November 1993.

Also just realised, my car is registered on my V5C I believe as an NA. As it was originally a non turbo, but has since had a Jspec 2jz engine put in place and single turbo setup.

Therefore, on an MOT would it still not be considered as the NA and have a non-CAT test?