The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Tyre Preferences on 18" rims

Mike B

Hi All,

Been a while since I posted.

I'm looking for a new set of rears; 275/35 R18, and I have always used Goodyear Eagle F1's (as the car was a daily driver and I used to do miles in the wet). However I was always aware that the F1 doesnt like power and dry roads - mine would turn to treacle if you showed them any spirit.

So I started looking at reviews. Specifically this caught my eyes;

Best tyres: evo Tyre Test 2015

and when started looking at getting some of these, - the winner being

Continental ContiSportContact 5 (Y 92)

I discovered that they don't make these, and half the other tyres in the test, in the size I need.

Seems 18" is old school!... just like me ;-)

So what do people recommend these days?

Dry, takes decent power (I run 600hp+), and progressive...

?

Guest Budz86

R888 here too. Decent grip and manageable in the wet as long as you don't take the piss! Tyre leader had a pair of them in 275/40/18 for about 370 delivered I think

You won't beat the Pilot Sport Cup 2. All of the track'd GT-Rs use them. Many use the R888, but as a track only tyre. The Michelin is the best tyre I've ever used. I've got 3 sets of GT-R wheels, all shod in Michelin. 2 are Cup Sport 2, then others are Pilot Super Sports for winter.

Hmmm...

The pilots scored really badly on those tests, but the old owner of my car back in the day swore by them, and those tests were on a fwd golf. Not exactly capable of doing what I suspect a supra can do to a tyre in the dry.

R888 - I did some reading and though expensive, they are supposed to have poor wear, plus I hear they are harsh, camber hunters and wet is "drivable" not really to be trusted.

I do have a little experience on aggressive tyres - a set of slicks in the garage which I have used for track days. They are EPIC in the dry, infact overpower the suspension and brakes, but cold, even on a hot day... I can see why they are illegal! lol

Johnny can I ask - you enjoying the GT-R? Is it enjoyable to drive? You miss the supra at all?

Johnny can I ask - you enjoying the GT-R? Is it enjoyable to drive? You miss the supra at all?

The GT-R has completely ruined me. It's incredibly quick, capable and practical. It's staggering - even after 3 years ownership. I do more miles in one year with the GT-R than I did in 3 years of the Supra. In terms of driving enjoyment: yes. It's hilarious fun. Take no notice about it driving itself, or being bland/boring. It'll provoke the tail, it'll power slide. A roll bar upgrade can dial out some factory understeer and it's epic.

I will confess one thing. When I see Luc's Supra, it does make me miss mine a little, but mainly for the geeking around. But, the GT-R, to me, is better every way.

You won't beat the Pilot Sport Cup 2. All of the track'd GT-Rs use them. Many use the R888, but as a track only tyre. The Michelin is the best tyre I've ever used. I've got 3 sets of GT-R wheels, all shod in Michelin. 2 are Cup Sport 2, then others are Pilot Super Sports for winter.

Johnny has a GTR though, he could put put a full set of ditch finders on there and the car will still launch faster than a Supra. Listen to the R888 recommendations if you want serious grip at the rear.

Johnny has a GTR though, he could put put a full set of ditch finders on there and the car will still launch faster than a Supra. Listen to the R888 recommendations if you want serious grip at the rear.

I run Michelin on the BMW as well. I won't run another tyre if I can help it. I genuinely believe Michelin Pilot Super Sports are the best all round tyre, with the Cup 2 being the best performance tyre.

It's also about far more than launch. It's about grip, feeling, handling, wear, progression, ride, road noise, etc. Saying it's about launch is little short-sighted.

Listen to the R888 recommendations if you want serious grip at the rear.

Make sure you put them on the front too otherwise your rear grip will over power the front level grip ;)

I like the R888 and Mich PS2, both are a great choice :thumbs:

I run Michelin on the BMW as well. I won't run another tyre if I can help it. I genuinely believe Michelin Pilot Super Sports are the best all round tyre, with the Cup 2 being the best performance tyre.

It's also about far more than launch. It's about grip, feeling, handling, wear, progression, ride, road noise, etc. Saying it's about launch is little short-sighted.

It's not short sighted atall, he's driving a single turbo supra and asking about performance tyres. R888's feel better, grip harder and are fine to drive in the wet, nobody pushes these cars hard in the wet so if all you need to do is drive, they are fine. Road noise wise....yes I will give you that but again, it's not a commuter car.

I appreciate the Michelin's are a better 'all rounder' for everyday driving (I have also had a 535d and although it was RWD, it's not 600bhp) but you will not keep with a similar car on the stickier tyre. Semi slicks helped transform my traction levels.

It's not short sighted atall, he's driving a single turbo supra and asking about performance tyres. R888's feel better, grip harder and are fine to drive in the wet, nobody pushes these cars hard in the wet so if all you need to do is drive, they are fine. Road noise wise....yes I will give you that but again, it's not a commuter car.

I appreciate the Michelin's are a better 'all rounder' for everyday driving (I have also had a 535d and although it was RWD, it's not 600bhp) but you will not keep with a similar car on the stickier tyre. Semi slicks helped transform my traction levels.

People like Litchfield Motors, Jonny Cocker Racing, etc have done serious work with the BMW M2, M3 and M4 and they all use Cup2s on those. Tyres are subjective, but having driven a lot of cars on a lot of different tyres. I'll default to the Cup 2s.

People like Litchfield Motors, Jonny Cocker Racing, etc have done serious work with the BMW M2, M3 and M4 and they all use Cup2s on those. Tyres are subjective, but having driven a lot of cars on a lot of different tyres. I'll default to the Cup 2s.

Yes but without knowing what class they are racing or the clientele their cars are aimed at, I can't comment. I'm sure that was one of the reasons Whifbitz stopped racing time attack, because of the step away from R888's. Again though we are comparing a modern car with complex electrical ecs, abs, differentials and chassis to a 25 year old design.

Everyone will ofcourse have an opinion on the matter, but if either of the Nums thought they could go faster around the Ring in Cup2's i'm sure they would because they would definitely be easier to live with on a noisy motorway commute and in standing water.

Edited by Hemanhead (see edit history)

love the vids on your sig.

Think I'd have a heart attack if it were me.

lol at the ring taxi..

Thanks mate, it was good fun.

Out of interest, Bignum, have you tried the Cup 2s?

I had a pair on some wheels i got and actually they are better than r888 on track as they don`t melt after 1 lap however on the street i found they needed a couple of hard pulls to get them sticky and grip anything like the r888, actually some dunlop d0z3 i had were kind of middle of the road compared to both and hold up fairly well on track but they are big bucks in the sizes i run, so its still r888 winner for me as a fast road tyre, slicks are in a different league wink wink.

Edited by bignum (see edit history)

I was running the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asym2 all round prior to my recent Germany trip, decided to put some new rubber on specifically for the trip and ring fun........... after some 'trusted' recomendations I opted to go for some Nangkang NS2R (not to be confused with the usual crap from Nangkang)

result? absolutely fantastic tyres........ full confidence around the ring and surrounding roads, not quite R888 but honestly, not far off....... even performed as well if not better than the Goodyear in the heavy rain on the run down........and on full wet roads surpass the R888 easily... well worth the money (cheaper than the Goodyear!) IMO

Seem to have held up well considering the treatment they got recently, might not usually be a name to go for but the NS2R seem to be a little different to the norm..

I was running the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asym2 all round prior to my recent Germany trip, decided to put some new rubber on specifically for the trip and ring fun........... after some 'trusted' recomendations I opted to go for some Nangkang NS2R (not to be confused with the usual crap from Nangkang)

result? absolutely fantastic tyres........ full confidence around the ring and surrounding roads, not quite R888 but honestly, not far off....... even performed as well if not better than the Goodyear in the heavy rain on the run down........and on full wet roads surpass the R888 easily... well worth the money (cheaper than the Goodyear!) IMO

Seem to have held up well considering the treatment they got recently, might not usually be a name to go for but the NS2R seem to be a little different to the norm..

Some good reviews on the NS2R`S, i may give them a go next time round.

Any lap videos, lap times to post up?

Edited by bignum (see edit history)