The mkiv Supra Owners Club

I'm Just At A Loss Of Whats Wrong :(

a98pmalcolm

Coming from My thread when I broke down : http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?334130-Broke-down-need-advice-on-why

The reason my car completely conked out is because a ignition pack melted and then the igniter went.

Well I replaced my ignition pack and igniter and the car started fine and drove like it once did.

Until about 20 mins later I got a quick mild whiff of what I smelt when I broke down, thought it was me being super paranoid so popped onto my local bypass and gave it the beans to test, all ran how it should until I came of the bypass and I could then I was sure to smell the hot burning smell and then the very very mild smoke came from my vents and then pulled into my drive (as I live a 2 min drive from the bypass)

Popped the bonnet and the heat was unreal. I'm 100% certain using my car will melt another ignition pack.

So I daren't use the car, I have never had such an issue and before I broke down the car was totally fine for 7 hours on the road. this time I'm not running lean mode.

The only thing I have done recent to the car is remove the rear wiper, 3rd brake light and taken my head unit out and had the front slam panel sprayed..

And on the 12th April I removed my catch tank breather and routed it to my intake pipe (which a load of people do) Which we went to japfest and back with no issues at all with it.

When the mild smoke came from the vents 1st time around I took out my dash panels so its nothing behind there so its defiantly coming from the engine bay.

Any advice would be awesome, I have put a recent pic of my engine bay incase you can spot something that isn't right.

Thanks

Paul

Update. I have found were the smoke is coming from. I have a small oil leak on my turbo feed connector..

I have also replaced all plugs and coil packs. I will keep this thread updated

Edited by a98pmalcolm (see edit history)

I would say take your spark plug cover off and check over your wiring to the coils and to the igniter, looks like you have some sort of short circuit and not the 80's movie type, lucky enough the igniter and coil circuit is quite simple , iirc its only 8 or 9 wires 2 from the ecu and 7 for the coils.

I had a issue with my coil wiring coming brittle and the isolation braking away and had to rewire it all . Different fault to yours but could well be on the same lines and a good place to start

Ps. Did you judt post the picture of your bay to show off :innocent:

Thanks for the reply guys, Water temps are spot on.

Fuel pressure reads fine at 3bar

Sadly I wish I was showing off, this has ground at me well and truely :(

Ok looks like I should check my wiring to the coils will do that.

I did have all spark plugs out and cleaned them. They all seemed fine..

Yer will work on it myself 1st, I don't think it will get to SRD or anywhere like that. It was new coil packs and there whifbitz ones. I haven running them over a year and have been fine.

The syvecs side of things is fine, my mapper had a check and as the map will be set to teh ecu it wont just change. There's going to me a problem somewhere thats caused this issue..

Yer will work on it myself 1st, I don't think it will get to SRD or anywhere like that. It was new coil packs and there whifbitz ones. I haven running them over a year and have been fine.

The syvecs side of things is fine, my mapper had a check and as the map will be set to teh ecu it wont just change. There's going to me a problem somewhere thats caused this issue..

Check the loom grounds under the shiny manifold. I'd also thoroughly investigate continuity&resistance of the wires relating to the coil packs and ignitor. Won't take you long with a multimeter and a wiring diagram.

Those coil packs are quite commonly not up to the task, I'd get some oem toyota's in there as a matter of urgency, maybe you could borrow a set to try?

Is the Syvecs trying to run wasted spark through the stock ignitor? The stock supra ignitor will burn out trying to run wasted spark. Is that particular feature activated?

A few ECUs run wasted spark with the stock ignitor and dont have an issue, ie AEM v1 PnP

FYI the Syvecs unit should not be running wasted spark as it has sufficient ignition outputs ;)

Check the loom grounds under the shiny manifold. I'd also thoroughly investigate continuity&resistance of the wires relating to the coil packs and ignitor. Won't take you long with a multimeter and a wiring diagram.

:yeahthat: I would be going over the ignition wiring with a meter and double checking everything.

A few ECUs run wasted spark with the stock ignitor and dont have an issue, ie AEM v1 PnP

FYI the Syvecs unit should not be running wasted spark as it has sufficient ignition outputs ;)

Yes I know it should not be running wasted spark but it was incase this feature had been incorrectly or accidentally activated somehow was all I was saying.

Just trying to think of things that would cause the ignitor to burn like that

Just to clarify, after the breakdown what new parts have you fitted. Igniter only? or coil pack/packs too, sorry if I've missed this info.

I have replaced the igniter and damaged coil packs, car starts and runs fine no missfire, this morning when I started it I had a whining sound from the engine bay for a few seconds.

I thought AEM needed an HKS DLI ?

Indeed it did, because the AEM converted from direct fire to wasted spark.

You could run without a DLI but it would only just run stock boost levels, no chance of 1.2bar on stock twins, I know cause I tried :D

I have replaced the igniter and damaged coil packs, car starts and runs fine no missfire, this morning when I started it I had a whining sound from the engine bay for a few seconds.

A ground issue was a good shout - any joy there?

I remember putting in a brand new OEM set of Coilpacks and it made a noticeable difference in the running of the car.

I'm having an issue with misfiring with the same said coil packs. Car all seams fine for a few miles and then starts to miss! Never had this issue with OEM packs so will be going back to them and seeing if it cures my issue. May not be you're issue but worth a try for the health of you're engine

My moneys on a ground fault. As mentioned maybe check all the coilpack wiring as it goes brittle over the years and can then cause trouble. I have had to redo the loom on mine to all injectors after I fitted the new engine as I had wiring gremlins. Probably because the wiring had all been disturbed. Repinning all the connectors and replacing the wiring (soldered and heatshrink after) totally sorted the problems I was having (at that time anyway lol)

What's the battery voltage with the engine running at say 3000 RPM? Are the air and water temp sensors working properly and the ecu seeing sensible values? If the ecu thought the charge air temp or the coolant temp were low it would add dwell angle. Can you log the dwell angle under load and post the results?