The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Help/Advice needed - Supra Single Turbo 1993 - MOT Emissions Test

supra_24

Hey guys,

Went to a local MOT workshop this morning to get the Supra's MOT done and it failed on the first emissions test.

They checked the exhaust pipe with a probe and failed it due to a 1% difference. Also they were not happy with it being decatted.

I found this very strange as the car has passed all its previous MOTS with it being decatted and emissions etc.

I was under the impression that due to it being an import and 1993, that it wouldnt go by the same regulations for emissions as newer cars etc?

My V5C even states its a 1993 import and has no emissions listed to go by.

They stated I needed a CAT fitted, but to be honest, their is nowhere to fit one on a single turbo setup. So I am a bit lost on where to go from here?

Supra Specs is as follows:

1993 2JZ engine single turbo conversion

Whifbitz 264 Cams

Syvecs ecu

800cc injectors

Remapped via Litchfields and Whifbitz

Borg Warner 6262 single turbo twin scroll.

Screamer pipes and twin wastegates.

Aftermarket BOV.

Single turbo exhaust downpipe.

HKS silent high power exhaust decat.

Whifbitz exhaust manifold.

Can anyone please advise on the above? That would be most appreciated.

Thank you.

Kind Regards.

It was set to low boost during the intial test. Thats one of the lowest maps I have.

Also reading on here. It should have had a pre 95 import non-cat test. On the flow charts it states that if no data on the system is found regarding emissions it goes via a non-cat test.

They put mine through a CAT test. But no details regarding my car and emissions would be on the system due to it being an import.

This is where I am confused. Any further advice on this matter?

not sure if this link is up to date but there will be a similar flow chart. I think you want them to go down the non cat test route, claiming you can't find the specific car in the database, ie they' should use the UK spec supra limits (might be hard to argue against depending how picky they are.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=non+cat+test+chart&biw=1600&bih=861&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwitp9WrmZbNAhUQOsAKHX--AegQ_AUIBigB#tbm=isch&q=non+cat+emissions+test+chart&imgrc=uHgiecn5bC4-1M%3A

There has to be something that could be stuffed down the exhaust round the corner from the test station eat would absorb hydrocarbons and CO to get round this.....any chemists on here!

not sure if this link is up to date but there will be a similar flow chart. I think you want them to go down the non cat test route, claiming you can't find the specific car in the database, ie they' should use the UK spec supra limits (might be hard to argue against depending how picky they are.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=non+cat+test+chart&biw=1600&bih=861&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwitp9WrmZbNAhUQOsAKHX--AegQ_AUIBigB#tbm=isch&q=non+cat+emissions+test+chart&imgrc=uHgiecn5bC4-1M%3A

There has to be something that could be stuffed down the exhaust round the corner from the test station eat would absorb hydrocarbons and CO to get round this.....any chemists on here!

Yeah i did see that chart. The thing is it should be a non-cat test surely as only the UK Spec would be listed on their system and mine is clearly an import from Japan (Jspec)

Dont see how else a single turbo Supra is gonna pass an MOT otherwise?

You cant even buy a CAT for this setup, so that is out the window.

ANyone have a single turbo setup that can advise?

It was set to low boost during the intial test. Thats one of the lowest maps I have.

Also reading on here. It should have had a pre 95 import non-cat test. On the flow charts it states that if no data on the system is found regarding emissions it goes via a non-cat test.

They put mine through a CAT test. But no details regarding my car and emissions would be on the system due to it being an import.

This is where I am confused. Any further advice on this matter?

Low boost maps wont be lean maps..

Might be worth contacting your mapper, but sounds like it maybe worth going down the route of a different test station, might be worth just visiting else where and saying that there's no cat and if they can help

Does anyone on here know of a friendly garage based in Berkshire then?

PM on it's way to you. Provided the car passes all other MOT tests it'll get put through in a legitimate way and thus bypassing the cat check. It's entirely legal.

Thanks for all your help guys. I should hopefully now be able to get something sorted out with my Supra.

I will update you once I get it all sorted. Probably wont be able to do so until end of June now, so will let your know nearer to that time ;)