The mkiv Supra Owners Club

New to The Supra Game

Guest JBead

Guest JBead

Hello All!

As you'll rapidly discover from the below I'm new to the Supra game (although certainly not new to JDM vehicles overall). Always loved the car (who hasn't?!) and finally am looking to get one.

I have questions AND before you all start doing the following :banghead::banghead: I'm sure these questions have been asked before, however I'm more looking for people's opinions rather than facts so please humour me. :innocent:

I'm looking to buy on a predominantly investment based approach (it will not be my daily driven car), although I will definitely drive and enjoy the car. I'm fully aware the TT 6-speeds are the best choice for this - and I've made approaches on a few I've found available.

However my main question is how do you guys (the Pro's so to speak) feel about automatics, 1JZ motors and boosting NA motors?

Or alternatively, buying a 2jz-gte engine and putting it into a separately bought car?

I'd love to hear any and everyone's opinions on above - how they hold value, ease to upgrade parts and fun to drive generally?

I appreciate the comments and thank you in advance!

James

Edited by JBead (see edit history)

Welcome :)

To start with, a Supra isn't a very good investment. You will spend more on insurance, tax, servicing, restoration / tuning than the car will appreciate. But, if you want a nice car, that's different, quick exciting, and reliable, where the increases in value will offset the above costs, then it's a pretty good buy :)

Certainly if you are wanting something that will retain the most value, don't buy one with a different engine, bodykits etc.

To start with, a Supra isn't a very good investment. You will spend more on insurance, tax, servicing, restoration / tuning than the car will appreciate. But, if you want a nice car, that's different, quick exciting, and reliable, where the increases in value will offset the above costs, then it's a pretty good buy :)

Certainly if you are wanting something that will retain the most value, don't buy one with a different engine, bodykits etc.

I actually disagree with this, If you buy a very good condition stock 6 speed then you could definitely be making a good investment. Prices have shot up recently. The dealers are selling these for nearly 20k so give it s few more years and I think most people will be sitting on some value!

I actually disagree with this, If you buy a very good condition stock 6 speed then you could definitely be making a good investment. Prices have shot up recently. The dealers are selling these for nearly 20k so give it s few more years and I think most people will be sitting on some value!

Until it needs an engine rebuild (5k), suspension refresh (5k), rust prevention, storage, etc etc.

I've owned loads of cars, well over 30 now, and I've made money on some, and lost money on others. I enjoy owning them, and if I make something, it's bonus. That's how I'd always look at it :)

Until it needs an engine rebuild (5k), suspension refresh (5k), rust prevention, storage, etc etc.

I've owned loads of cars, well over 30 now, and I've made money on some, and lost money on others. I enjoy owning them, and if I make something, it's bonus. That's how I'd always look at it :)

Wow that shot me down hard lol. Well presumably if you could get a well documented looked after example with replaced suspension etc then presumably you'd be good to go. I really do think the supra will keep increasing beyond what we expect. Look at the Ferrari 348 a few years ago that was 30k now it's double that. Fair enough the supras not a Ferrari but still it's a cult classic. The R34 GTR is a prime example. They were 18k-20k a few years back and now they are double that. Give it 5 years and a TT6 in good condition will be hitting 30k. I may be wrong but it looks like that's where it's going.

I have questions AND before you all start doing the following :banghead::banghead: I'm sure these questions have been asked before, however I'm more looking for people's opinions rather than facts so please humour me. :innocent:

I'm looking to buy on a predominantly investment based approach (it will not be my daily driven car), although I will definitely drive and enjoy the car. I'm fully aware the TT 6-speeds are the best choice for this - and I've made approaches on a few I've found available.

However my main question is how do you guys (the Pro's so to speak) feel about automatics, 1JZ motors and boosting NA motors?

Or alternatively, buying a 2jz-gte engine and putting it into a separately bought car?

I'd love to hear any and everyone's opinions on above - how they hold value, ease to upgrade parts and fun to drive generally?

I appreciate the comments and thank you in advance!

James

I think good condition automatics may catch up (relative % wise) over time, the manuals always staying the most desirable. At the moment an auto of comparable quality to a manual is almost half the cost, I can see the 7K or so gap staying the same 'if' prices rise, so perhaps one day a manual might creep to 25K an auto 16-17K? The importance of condition 'may' be equally as important as transmission type as time goes by?

1JZ and boosted NA's I would agree aren't great investment vehicles, I think a good condition stock NA (largely ignored and sometimes neglected) in time has a chance of appreciating, in the future performance (historically the Supra's trump card) may not be so important to a modern classic owner.

2JZ-GTE engines seem to be rare these days, quite a few transplants have been done but again not a great investment imo.

In summary you are a little late to take advantage of the Supra's previously amazing value, it's still a snip compared to a NSX but they have a long history of value retention and even appreciation that any 90's Toyota so far can only dream of!

Wow that shot me down hard lol. Well presumably if you could get a well documented looked after example with replaced suspension etc then presumably you'd be good to go. I really do think the supra will keep increasing beyond what we expect. Look at the Ferrari 348 a few years ago that was 30k now it's double that. Fair enough the supras not a Ferrari but still it's a cult classic. The R34 GTR is a prime example. They were 18k-20k a few years back and now they are double that. Give it 5 years and a TT6 in good condition will be hitting 30k. I may be wrong but it looks like that's where it's going.

I agree the Supra is lagging behind (always has to a degree for some reason which has helped me own one tbh!) so there is room for uplift, on the flip side lots of cars including those ones mentioned may be part of classic/modern classic bubble and they may all be due a haircut, lots of speculatively sale prices not necessarily lots of sales.

OP is probably about 2/3 years behind unfortunately.

Prices/values have risen a lot, whether they'll continue to is another matter.

I'd say supra that's had transplants would have to be using the 2jz get with 6 speed. But a v8 with different boxes done to high standards would be unique in there own right and fetch a preium.

My car was a na auto aerotop I need to do more digging as I was told by previous owner it was a tt original gz but doesn't matter it won't effect the price to much as a investment as it's being done right and by a well know garage SRD and the cars that have came out of there are incredible and a credit to the workmanship. (Check there website and other people's builds by them)

Investment by a original. Tt auto or 6speed.

If that can't be done build a tt 6 speed or auto at a very high standard and you should be good.

These cars are getting rarer and rarer because of crashes high power cars being broken as they get more money back on them.

If I came to sale mine il be waiting until American market opens up as I think your easily get 30k right now could get 20k to 25k once it's finished. And it doesn't have service history but it's been built and hopefully everything will be fresh.

There getting old so as said by other suspension, engine rebuilds (mine currently ha's just had this) gearboxes, 6speed originals now nearly 4k just the box in unknown conditions as there discontinuedand, the last new 6speed are nearly 6-8k for just the box.

Looking for rust, there not know to rush like the sky lines but there are always some that art looked after properly.

All the best with your hunt and I hope like most of the owners that the values do continue to rise regardless of what specs thet are.

Edited by Hitbox Junkie (see edit history)

Guest JBead

Thank you for all the input guys. This is probably the best forum I've ever been on :blink:

both in terms of rapid replies and quality responses!

A few people have PM'ed me as a follow up but I'm not a full member so cannot reply - please do not think me rude.

To briefly answer the common questions:

-I'm prepared to buy any time the correct car comes along

-Budget is obviously as low as possible but happy to look at anything.

-Happy to take a car with mods provided receipts etc are available.

Thanks again.

Guest JBead

Cheeky, thats definitely a beautiful specimen. Tried to PM you but your inbox is full XD

Drop me a message and we'll move forward :D

Guest JBead

I have tried becoming a member but am having real trouble with Paypal!

I am unsure if this is allowed but James, do you have an email you could PM me so we can talk please?

If not I'll continue the battle with Paypal and get back to you in a few months XD