The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Won a bid on ebay auto TT

Izzy

Hello all.

I'm a happy bidding winner for this beauty :eyebrows: : Supra auto TT

Would you be so kind and help me out if someone knows the car so I can be prepared when I'll go and check her. I already printed and read the Basic Supra guide: What to check when buying a Supra.

As you noticed I'm from Slovenia (Europe) and it's pretty far for me to take a flight to UK just to turn around if the car is not as described. Maybe if someone is close to that area and be so kind to check her out for me just to be sure.

Thank you all for taking your time and hope to see someone when I collect her and we can go to :friday:

Cheers,

Izzy

This is what comes up on the MOT history check

Check the MOT history of a vehicle

Registration number: PIL2574

Vehicle make: TOYOTA

Vehicle model: SUPRA

Date first used: 9 August 2000

Fuel type: Petrol

Colour: Silver

MOT history of this vehicle

Test date: 10 May 2016

Expiry date: 9 May 2017

Test Result: Pass

Odometer reading: 119,467 kms

MOT test number: 1182 5112 1763

Test date: 10 October 2011

Expiry date: 9 October 2012

Odometer reading: 119,422 miles

MOT test number: 3196 1398 1290

Advisory notice item(s):

Brakes imbalanced requirements only just met. It would appear that the braking system requires adjustment or repair. (3.7.B.5b)

Test date: 23 February 2008

Expiry date: 22 February 2009

Odometer reading: 11,844 kms

MOT test number: 1934 8405 8048

Test date: 2 January 2007

Expiry date: 1 January 2008

Odometer reading: 114,179 kms

MOT test number: 3003 1210 7072

So it looks like the car wasn't used much the last few years, not ideal however it looks like the ebay seller has gone through the servicing bits and sorted a lot of the stuff out. Hopefully he got it really cheap and was just wanting to make a quick profit, rather than buying it for the long term and discovering an issue hence a quick sale.

My spider senses are veering towards the former, have you spoken to the guy at all?

I contacted him and he replayed.

˝Me and my friend who is a mechanic bought it as a project of a customer to do up and sell as it says in the description, weve done all the jobs to make sure the car is mechanically sound and had no issues after being stood˝

And he'll send me a video of it running after work.

Does this sounds good?

And @Dnk there is an error in MOT history:

Test date: 23 February 2008

Expiry date: 22 February 2009

Odometer reading: 11,844 kms - it's missing one digit so it's 118440kms

MOT test number: 1934 8405 8048

I think you'll find the odometer has been misread

Perhaps ask the seller for photos of the receipts for parts they've replaced

It could still need a lot doing to it unless things like heater matrix, radiator, intercooler etc have been replaced, if not

they'll be very tired, most oe intercoolers are scrap way before their 20 yrs old

Ask if the heater blows properly hot on its hottest setting and if the ac is properly cold as well

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

Guest Ec1202014

Not being funny and great advise and great bunch of guys on here.

But if you have already won the auction - you should be collecting and paying for it, not doing your homework on the car after winning it mate...

I understand you're a distance away but your geography is not a sellers problem. If I was the seller I would expect that car to be picked up this weekend at the latest.

I get what you are saying but it has to be as described and so in the circumstances a little verification prior to travel is to be expected. Would you roll up and without even starting it hand over the cash and then if it broke down round the corner just suck it up. If I was selling a car on ebay I'd expect to let the guy check it was as described and drove ok on a test drive, I just wouldn't expect any backing out as it would be as described.

I do think Izzy should have been asking many questions throughout the auction to establish communication and lower the risk of the seller getting nervous of a foreign/buyer bidder. The Ebay seller can always do a second chance offer should Izzy stall significantly. Izzy has a hard choice to make because of the geography/logistics, does he act quickly and risk it having hidden problems or does he risk annoying the seller with too many questions.

Thanks guys, really appreciate the answers you are giving, because as Scooter says, it's a long trip for just too turn around if the car isn't as described.

I contacted the seller about 10 times now and he seems a good honest guy. I will not back up from it, far from that. I just want to hear your opinion.

And I can't just hop on a plane and flew of to UK, I have a job and responsibilities and first I must book the tickets. I am in touch with the seller and will discuss when will be collecting her.

Thanks again for your feedback, really appreciate it :)

I sold one of my old cars to a guy on here who was in Bulgaria at the time, it took a bit of work from us both to trust each other especially as he paid up front and sent someone over to collect it on a trailer. Are you planning on driving it back personally!?

I get what you are saying but it has to be as described and so in the circumstances a little verification prior to travel is to be expected. Would you roll up and without even starting it hand over the cash and then if it broke down round the corner just suck it up. If I was selling a car on ebay I'd expect to let the guy check it was as described and drove ok on a test drive, I just wouldn't expect any backing out as it would be as described.

I do think Izzy should have been asking many questions throughout the auction to establish communication and lower the risk of the seller getting nervous of a foreign/buyer bidder. The Ebay seller can always do a second chance offer should Izzy stall significantly. Izzy has a hard choice to make because of the geography/logistics, does he act quickly and risk it having hidden problems or does he risk annoying the seller with too many questions.

As Scooter said.

I'm Izzy's brother and I allso bought a Supra in the UK and I can guarantee that he is a legit buyer, just a little cautious as expected. He have the budget and we will go to see and inspect the car as soon he collects all the info about the car that he could. If the car will be as described we will gladly pay for it and drove it home :)

Thank you all for your input on the matter and better to be prepared than go ignorant for that kind of money. We will update you about the progress.

Cheers,

Edvard

Not being funny and great advise and great bunch of guys on here.

But if you have already won the auction - you should be collecting and paying for it, not doing your homework on the car after winning it mate...

I understand you're a distance away but your geography is not a sellers problem. If I was the seller I would expect that car to be picked up this weekend at the latest.

Completely agree, the questions etc and request of videos all should be done before. A winning bid on ebay is a contract to purchase. Yes I know Slovenia is a distance, but people do seem to bid first and then check. That is not what ebay is about.

I hope it all goes well for you, and the drive back is smooth, I must say you are brave to buy from a foreign country without even seeing it. Best of luck.

Completely agree, the questions etc and request of videos all should be done before. A winning bid on ebay is a contract to purchase. Yes I know Slovenia is a distance, but people do seem to bid first and then check. That is not what ebay is about.

Have you bought or sold a car via ebay? What checks would you do, or expect anyone to do before actually handing over the cash, none? It's not always practical to view beforehand.

Say you turn up and there is no full V5, "nah mate its still with DVLA, but I'll forward it on when I get it" or "you can apply for a new one yourself" etc is it ok to walk if there is no mention of it in the ad or you forgot to ask/not unreasonably presumed it would there?

I agree with EBay messers but really when you are selling a car it's unrealistic to expect a transfer of cash and a knock on your door and for them to sign the V5 and drive away on the back of a paragraph or two of your description (some play down their cars some over hype them). It's easier now with online MOT checks and the like but I think you are being a little harsh on them it's only been a day or so.

Even if you lived here you'd won't have transferred funds (perhaps a small deposit) yet and would be talking about how best to do that on the day of pickup. Insurance etc all takes times to sort and again a seller can't be too put out by a bit of logistics lag, can they?

Guest Ec1202014

Scooter, not saying anything about sending payments blind or having no V5 or any of that - that's purely a possibility with a sale, not this one.

I've only ever bought one car via winning an eBay auction (I've bought lots as cash through eBay but before the auction ends etc) but when I did win I went to see the car 5 days before the auction was to finish.... So in that case I had done all my checking of the vehicle so it was a final walk around and check along with a paperwork and payment exercise. I have sold 2 cars on eBay exactly like this too and it sorts lots of these problems out - truth be told it's easier to just sell them thing outside of the auction as cash, thus purely using it as an advertising platform really but it's better to use the classifieds for that.

This is the problem with eBay, people forget it's an auction and you're committing to buy something, not committing to go and view it and usually then try and haggle. Wouldn't happen at a normal car auction would it. You see it drive in (if you're actually attending and not doing online) walk around it and place a bid, you win its yours, you drive or trailer it away.

Not taking anything away from the OP here, I'm sure he's a genuine guy that will collect the car.

Just my 2 pence and opinion, it doesn't have to be the same as yours mate.

I agree with all you are saying especially the using it generally as an advertising platform.

If the guys can just verify it's all ship shape the money side of things they are happy with, no issue of haggling etc. Situations with buyers/sellers in different countries is difficult for both sides, I'm just saying from what I'm hearing that at this stage they don't deserve any of the general flack given for ebay chancers they are just trying to check the basics you or I would do at minimal cost by popping in the car to pick it up but that they can't.

Hey guys. I know that I must do my research before bidding ends (and I asked questions, but forgot about the videos) but now I got the videos and everything seems in order. And I never intended to back out from buying the car.

I'll book a flight to Manchester as fast as I can.

Thanks again to all of you who answered.

Have you bought or sold a car via ebay? What checks would you do, or expect anyone to do before actually handing over the cash, none? It's not always practical to view beforehand.

Say you turn up and there is no full V5, "nah mate its still with DVLA, but I'll forward it on when I get it" or "you can apply for a new one yourself" etc is it ok to walk if there is no mention of it in the ad or you forgot to ask/not unreasonably presumed it would there?

I agree with EBay messers but really when you are selling a car it's unrealistic to expect a transfer of cash and a knock on your door and for them to sign the V5 and drive away on the back of a paragraph or two of your description (some play down their cars some over hype them). It's easier now with online MOT checks and the like but I think you are being a little harsh on them it's only been a day or so.

Even if you lived here you'd won't have transferred funds (perhaps a small deposit) yet and would be talking about how best to do that on the day of pickup. Insurance etc all takes times to sort and again a seller can't be too put out by a bit of logistics lag, can they?

Yes both ways. I bought my supra on ebay, before bidding went to look at it, went on a test drive, hpi checked it, looked at docs etc. Then bid and bought it.

I've sold too. Its flipping annoying when one person turns up checks it then bids, doesn't win, then the winner rings up and says they're sending their mechanic to 'look over it' after the auction has ended. You do that beforehand.

Auctions are auctions, you look, you like you bid, you pay. If you go to an auction house can you bid, win, then say oh can i look at the car and check it out before I pay? No you can't.

Hey guys. I know that I must do my research before bidding ends (and I asked questions, but forgot about the videos) but now I got the videos and everything seems in order. And I never intended to back out from buying the car.

I'll book a flight to Manchester as fast as I can.

Thanks again to all of you who answered.

You're in an awkward situation living abroad as v difficult/costly to look at the car before bidding. Hope it goes well for you.

Izzy hello neighbour :) Please do a writeup about what you had to do when you arrived to UK. I am in a look for a supra, so would like to have all the info about what I have to do to drive the car back home. Plan is to fly to London, a drive back to Croatia.

It would be great if someone could recommend a mechanic to check the car, as its not good that it dies somewhere on the road.

Plus, could you give me info on the route, where would you drive, use ferry?? maybe if you can calculate how much you need for the trip back.

Hello doggy :)

I'm Izzy's brother. I also bought a Supra in december last year. All the info on "what to check when buying" is here.

What are you looking for? N/A or TT? Because the cost of the trip depends of the engine you have :D

I bought an N/A 5spd. Have in mind, that I went with my girlfriend to do the road trip back together ;)

The trip from Ljubljana to Venice Italy, where we had a flight to Manchester, was about 60€ and a flight was 260€ one way. Than the train and taxi about 30€.

The trip back was a looong drive back with stops. I used about two tanks of fuel, thats about 150€ for the gas. We took the ferry to the Calais because it was cheaper. Was obut 100€. Then we went trough Belgium and Germany because the road is better there (soo I was told by my friend who drive a lorry). And then the vignette for the Austira and Slovenia 25€. And do have in mind that you must have some for the trip... I estimate that we spent about 700€ for the whole trip. That wasn't too much in ragard that the trailer would cost me obut 400€ and that we had a great road trip. :innocent:

Hope that helps you a little :)

If you have any questions, just ask or send me PM.

Cheers,

Edvard