The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Rolling Road (Auto Box)

Todd

Just back from a RR day at Star Performance for a few of the car clubs up in Scotland, gets to my turn and pop the car on the rollers and the bloke takes one look at the auto box and said no can do!!

To tricky to set up and would take him to long, this is because the car would keep changing up gears, I told him to put it in manual and it would rev to the top of the range but nope, still reckoned it would be to tricky :(

Anyone else had this prob or is he right!!

He's talking rubbish. Not got an auto meself, but everyone will tell you it's no problem to dyno an auto. AFAIK, 3rd is the 1:1 gear for the auto, so all you do is O/D off, and stick it in 3rd (or D, can't remember what the auto shift pattern is) using MANU - I recall someone saying it will pull off in 3rd if left like this, so it won't stall and you can get a proper run.

I kind of thought as much and could see that the bloke was waffling so didn't feel to good about putting the motor on any way.

Funny thing was it was mostly MR2s there and they never had any fans on at the rear at all just one at the front, cr*p setup if you ask me.

Ach well not all is lost, I can now go out and freeze my t*ts off and clean the car :thumbs:

Keep hearing autos can't be rolling roaded, is this the same for a hub dyno?

Theris no problem with Auto's going onto a Dyno be it a RR or a hub version. If the company doing it says differently, walk away as they do not know what they are talking about :swear:

Funny this was brought up, coz when i took mine on a RR the bloke told me he couldn't do a proper power test on the auto because it gives a pub talk figure. Something to do with the auto engine rolls on longer than a manuel. Anybody heard of this before??

He was talking bollocks :swear:

Similar problem I found with 'Power Engineering' in Uxbridge.

They claimed mine was jumping off the rollers each time they tried ,

This does happen with Autos....any company who knew what they were doing or had the right equipment, would have "tied" the car down to stop it jumping off the rollers.

They're only a couple of iles away and i called them up and the bloke said no problems. Got down there and his words were he couldn't do a power test as it was an auto. Very odd.

Exactly - booked mine in over the phone, got down there and their power test method was a non-starter.

No mate - sorry it's an auto, can't help you. How do you drive that thing by the way - must be a 'mare over the speed humps.

Do we have a smilie for Richard Head

:swear:

Just as well I only live down the road from them as well.

:)

I was at Dastek when Irvy's was RR'd, and the car did seem to constantly kick down and give a bollocks figure (600 odd bhp if i remember rightly) despite me telling the operator exactly what to do, and how it was RR'd successfully at STAR when I owned it - made 323bhp there when it was standard and the curve looks correct also. Method being traction control off, into manu mode - get it into 3rd (D) with overdrive off and nail it. Adam Kindness also had his old auto RR'd at STAR ok. I think where the problem arises is when the brake loading of the rollers is set quite high, and that's what the problem was and the difference with Dastek. We did try numerous attempts at getting a figure at Dastek but with no joy :(

Rumour has it that Dastek quite recently sold their old rollers to STAR for their new premises so it'd be my guess thats why STAR now seem to also have a problem with RR'ing autos.

Cheers,

Brian.

Guest Gerry Gaffney

Hi Guys,

The problems with dynoing autos, is that at full throttle, even when in manual mode, the car wants to kick down, because it senses the vehicle is not accelerating quickly enough (because of the dyno contolling the ramp rate) When the vehicle kicks down, there is very high tractive effort, which then causes wheelspin & mucks up the test. Other problems are torque convertor slip, so this effects the torque calculation, & then on coastdown the secondary pump doesn't fully disengage for a few seconds & give a massive drag value for the early part of the coastdown (we get round this by extrapolating a mathimatical curve over the coastdown curve to cancel the pump) those that have been on our dyno will have seen this.

With regards the tests being done at Star, I can only assume they were done at 'near' full throttle, as otherwise they would kick down, as they do on our rollers. Also Jim @ Star is still using his old rollers as far as I know, hasn't bought one of our dyno's yet ;)

We can test some autos no problem, I've never done enough Supra's to find a way to make it work, & on a dyno day time doesn't allow to fanny about trying.

Hope that helps,

Gerry

Dastek

Thanks for the reply Gerry. It was nice you tried a few times that day to get a reading with the silver auto supra at the sxoc RR day.

Glad you cleared that up about Star - just another rumour then after all about their RR.

Cheers,

Brian.