The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Rear Quarter Panels

Guest JohnCleland

Guest JohnCleland

Hello all,

Sadly, after just 8 days of my MkIV being back in my hands, an Edinburgh City Council bin lorry managed to do some damage...Damage.jpg

So, the insurers took the car in and after a week and half I now find that the "engineers" working for the insurers are wanting to write the car off, which as you might imagine is somewhat irritating!

The reason is that it is apparently no economical to repair, based on a valuation of 4,500!!!! I vented a bit when they told me this, given that even as a NA 1996 Supra its value is somewhat greater than that to replace and it only has 65000 miles on the clock, so low miles as well. Ok so heres the issue.

I need no establish the real world costs of a quarter panel to replace the one damaged, does anyone have any insight into this?

The main reason for the cost is that I had a paint job done late last year which is custom, a purple/blue over black base. I am trying to figure out why I should be out of pocket because of the stupidity of a bin lorry driver (I was parked legally by the way) means that my car gets written off and I end up with not enough to get a replacement...help much appreciated.

John

Well they will usually write off if the repair value is uneconomical to repair, i.e represents more than I think its 70% of the value of the car which if you have it valued at £4,500 is £3,150 which is probably about right to put a quarter panel in a car and do all the work etc.

Its going to be shown as a category c car repaired anyway so why would you not just let them write it off, buy it back for scrap and get it fixed yourself anyway. As a non insurance repair you will probably get it done a bit cheaper. It makes little odds if you have already opted to go through insurance anyway.

You will benefit more financially if you just let them write it off and buy it back for scrap value

Have it written off, but do not accept the value put on the car if you disagree. Provide at least three examples, and ask them to do the same if they disagree with the value you are asking for, you do not have to accept their offer if you do not feel it is right. They legally have to put you back in the same financial position you were in before the accident.

Guest JohnCleland

Thanks for the quick feedback, much appreciated.

I will fight them on the value of the car, but as you suggest I may just take the car and repair myself.

To me it just seems very unfair that insurers and their engineers can arbitrarily decide what is best when it wasn't my fault, for me I just want my car fixed....ohh well we shall see how it goes.

Thanks again.

John

Thanks for the quick feedback, much appreciated.

I will fight them on the value of the car, but as you suggest I may just take the car and repair myself.

To me it just seems very unfair that insurers and their engineers can arbitrarily decide what is best when it wasn't my fault, for me I just want my car fixed....ohh well we shall see how it goes.

Thanks again.

John

As long as you can show them examples of the economic cost to replace with a vehicle of similar spec and mileage they usually will accommodate you. As said above, pull together as many current examples of similar vehicles for sale to support your point of the current market value of replacement you should be ok.

A friend of mine got offered 3,500 for his manual chaser a few years back initially until he provided support and walked away with over £9k so it is worth doing the homework.

Repairable, ive seen so much worse, a pro body shop with skilled panel beaters can take it out. If i were you i would do the following

Write it off and get the value you want and buy the car back

Get looking and be ready to spend the money you got paid to have the car repaired.

All you need to do really is look for a garage near you do to it.

Dont worry mate im sure itll go smooth, just sucks being out of the supra while all the papers go through, dont let muggins on the phone fob you off, its their job to try it ;)

Kev

I'm just going through a (small) claim now as well, given that I'm not at fault I am being put massively out of my way - things have not been made easy, it hardly seems worth the effort

Good luck with the claim

So I'd fire a few pics off to local people to get some quotes for the work.

Say you want to keep the car and organise the repair yourself and ask for either a value they will accept to pay, or the value for the write off less salvage. Then you can see if you are close to breaking even...

Have it written off, but do not accept the value put on the car if you disagree. Provide at least three examples, and ask them to do the same if they disagree with the value you are asking for, you do not have to accept their offer if you do not feel it is right. They legally have to put you back in the same financial position you were in before the accident.

Sounds simple. Why do you pay extra for agreed value?

Sounds simple. Why do you pay extra for agreed value?

Because agreed value saves you all the hassle of arguing for months. I don't mind it, and enjoy the battle, others get walked over and get hardly anything paid out.

Guest JohnCleland

So, as am update. Thanks to all who have replied, much appreciated.

I didn't want to write the car off because this then would affect the insurance position, so I have dug my heals in and have not accepted the engineers valuation, which even the second one was way too low. I don't know where they get their facts from, but could someone tell me where they might think that a pretty decent 1996 Supra, mauls non turbo might only cost 5,000? Anyway, I am pushing the insurance with a counter claim so that I can get her repaired, I will sue the people that damaged the car for any over costs I have to shell out, but I am hoping that won't be too much.

Let's face it, the replacement hire car (Merc AMG!) is costing them over 400 pounds a week to rent for me! It would make sense that they just repair the car and be done with it.

Thanks again everyone, will let you know how it goes.

Cheers,

John

Guest JohnCleland

PS

Would anyone know where to get hold of a new non-fibreglass OEM front bumper for my 96? I am going to have the repairers replace the bumper with a stock one to bring the car back to its original glory...

Cheers

PS

Would anyone know where to get hold of a new non-fibreglass OEM front bumper for my 96? I am going to have the repairers replace the bumper with a stock one to bring the car back to its original glory...

Cheers

Toyota £300+ but need alot of hardware to fit it to

Guest JohnCleland

Thanks, I shall speak to Toyota - presumably if I get in touch with Toyota UK they can sort me out?

Cheers,

John