The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Water Pump Removal

jot_ie

HI all

Anyone got any tips/tricks to remove the 2 nuts off the back of the water pump.

Its the connection to the No 2 water bypass pipe, right at the very back of the pump.

Looks impossible to get to with a ratchet and socket.

Many thanks

John

You can get in there, just need to persevere. maybe try it from underneath.

Perseverance and lots of swearing I'm thinking :)

Did mine years ago think underneath with a wobble extended bar oh and alternater was off to hope you sort it soon

Not going to be able to get underneath unfortunately, its sitting on very old crumbly tarmac, wouldn't trust it on stands, least with me underneath it I wouldn't.

Do you need / want to take the backing plate off? You can just swap out a pump without touching it at all.

I would really like to swap out the whole unit if I could.

Currently replacing the timing belt, timing tensioners, fan belt, crank pulley, rad hoses, and I have a complete new water pump with gaskets and thermostat.

Basically a front end refresh. Ideal time to do it as the crank pulley came apart and the timing belt needed to be replaced.

I did buy new crank and cam seals, but the original ones seem fine, so might leave them well enough alone