The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Potential first time supra buyer

Shortacus

Hi all , joined the forum so I could have a look at the prices and quality of the for sale vehicles as I plan n purchasing a supra after my current lease is over .

I tried to send a pm or reply to cereds add but as I'm new this isn't allowed.

Can anyone tell me what the running costs are like when using a Supra as a daily driver whilst mainting it in a good condition .

Mpg,servicing,tax,reliability,comfort etc

How are the flappy paddle boxes in supras this interests me .

Thanks in advance

Ross

Hi Ross and welcome to the forum.

What are you currently driving just now?

With regards to running costs etc, there are several owners on here who use their Supras as a daily driver (I was one only up until last year when I moved further away from my work).

You can see 20-30mpg depending on how you drive it, but these cars really don't lend themselves to being driven sensibly all the time as they do beg for a blast now and again....or often lol.

Tax is around the £270ish for the year (give or take a few quid), servicing can be relatively easy if you can do it yourself, otherwise it is not much different to any other car, reliability is excellent, these were built when Toyota really knew how to build good cars.

Owners are running upwards of 600bhp on stock internals and reporting no issues.

Flappy paddle box, no idea, but I'm sure someone will be along to help you there.

Where about's in Scotland are you? We have quite a few events and meets going on up here and you could always pop along and see some of the cars and maybe even have a passenger ride :thumbs:.

As for PM's, if you pay the £10 membership fees it opens up a whole world of knowledge and options to you.

Gordy

Thanks for the reply Gordy,

Current car is a 2013 Focus Zetec S - ( got sensible car to bring down insurance for the day I could afford something decent like a supra lol) Got a 2014 Kawasaki 650 for the fun stuff also :sly:

Im from Glasgow/Clydebank area. I'll keep my eye out for the meets then !

My lease is up in AUG so looking to buy around JUL/AUG time. Ill remain a creeper to gather all the information I can in the meantime.

Looking to spend around 9-12G but don't want to fall in love with a car and it sells before then so now ill stick to the information gathering. I have a daily commute of 20 mile round trip so its not looking as expensive on fuel as I first thought - I am also a maintenance engineer so hopefully the servicing costs should be manageable.

All sounds good!

You should be able pick up a lovely Twin Turbo Auto with your budget. Prices have rocketed in the last year or so and some of the TT6 speeds are going for over £15k!

Is it an NA, TT, Auto or Manual you are after?

Looking for Turbo'd either single or twin would be considered. I was manual until i read the cost of a replacement or refurbed unit should something go wrong. Pretty interested in this BMW DCT 7 speed auto conversion or something similar.

Pretty interested in this BMW DCT 7 speed auto conversion or something similar.

Aren't we all lol!

You'll struggle I'd say to pick up a Single'd Manual at that price (All Single turbo'd GTE engined supras are modified from the twin turbo and 2JZ-GTE block, however there are converted GE non turbo cars which have been singled and are cheaper though most run similar power to a BPU'd TT).

If you fancy a spin in a TT Auto running circa 400bhp let me know and I'd happily oblige :D

Welcome :)

Pretty interested in this BMW DCT 7 speed auto conversion or something similar.

The conversion cost is roughly the price of the car, just to put it in perspective ;)

Re flappy paddle boxes, Ive owned a couple of Toyotas with the same set up, its really pointless as you only have 3 gears, best to leave it in 'D'

I wouldn't use a TT supra as a daily. The fuel bill will kill you. Buy the supra and when you can, buy something cheap to run about in.

The flappy paddle conversion will apparently cost you around 12k. Probably the kind of thing to do if you don't ever plan on selling the supra as you won't really care if the modification cost more than your car.