The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Aerotop creaking

evinX

So ive nailed most of the noises on the car except the roof creaking. Dosent do it on a brand new peice of road, but on normal roads its always creaking. Never used to

Ive done the following

Fitted new front bolts

Removed the headliner and tightened all the captive bolts

Checked the windscreen pillars where the bolts go through and the washer welds have not broken

The seals look fine, dont know where else to check now :(

Any info?

Kev

Ive done it in the order my glove box has it, also followed the 2 other options in the japanese owners manual but no sucess. Ill try it on flat concrete to, my driveway is pretty flat but worth a shot, really dont get the creaking :(

Cheers fellas :thumbs:

A rub of Vaseline on the rubber seals should sort it. (I love my Supra - don't judge me :innocent:)

Never use Vaseline on rubber seals, it breaks them down and causes them to crack.

My other car has a removable Targa roof, I've used Hepworths silicon grease on the rubber seals for over 10 years to stop the squeaking that can occur, particularly when the weather is warm.

A 500ml tub is about £5-£6 from a builders merchant and will last years - apply it sparingly from an old cloth and gently rub it in to the rubber seals where they meet. It will also make the seals water resistant again.

I always take the Toyota bolt sequence to be unbolting and when bolting it back I start with the back 2 bolts then the front 2.

The reason for this is because the back of the roof has projections that sits into a pair of recesses and the back 2 bolts pulls them tight into position

The front 2 bolts pulls the front of the roof down onto a flat surface and doesnt engage in anything.

Mine doesnt creak unless the bolts start to work loose.

Ok, well i knew my passenger seat creaked a little, took it out of the car. No creak, what so ever. the roof is solid. Hmmm, tonight ill spend some time stripping it down when the house is at peace at quiet and see whats up with it.

Have the roof seals been replaced at all? They are getting old so perishing, it's best to get them swapped now before they become discontinued - I think some of them are as I had a hard time getting one of the roof seals

I have all the new aeroseals but saving them for the big respray. Its the seat :D

• 2 months later...

Hey guys,

I'm having exactly the same issue here. The only difference is that I have full carbon fiber roof that is creaking like hell! I've tried everything that's written but nothing really helps. Any suggestions? Maybe it's worth going back to original roof? Getting quite desperate. It's been more than a month now and the sound is getting very annoying.

Cheers!