The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Crank Pulley - once again

jot_ie

Well, I bought the Halfords 3/4" breaker bar, and a 3/4" impact socket.

Removed undertray and braced the bar off the ground.

Turned the ignition ....... nothing.

The front just rises about an inch, damn bolt will not budge.

Where to now??

Just done mine a few month ago on an Auto the crank bolt was new last year when I did the timing belt oil pump/etc and it wouldn't budge this time with the "starter motor trick" I torqued the bolt up to exact spec last year aswell so no overtightening to blame.

The locking tool really is magic these self made ones I keep seeing are trash in comparison.

^ that's where I got it in the end aswell Toyota wanted £300 for it I shit you not...

The one I made just bent the m8 bolts as there is no support for them into the crank pulley face where as the Toyota tool has support for the two bolts.

You are manual so you can put it in gear and handbrake firmly on and try the bar plus extension plus brute force.

Not easy to torque it up accurately this way but you should get the nut loose.

Been trying this, swinging out of it like a chimp. No go. Theres no danger I will do damage if I really force it is there?

Also I've never done the starter method, but doesn't it involve having a gap between the bar and ground to give an initial movement and therefore a bigger shock type impact/torque on trying the starter?

Tried that too, leaving a bit of slack to get that jolt, no joy.

At the moment I can't justify the cost of the locking tool, just for one use.

Been trying this, swinging out of it like a chimp. No go. Theres no danger I will do damage if I really force it is there?

Tried that too, leaving a bit of slack to get that jolt, no joy.

At the moment I can't justify the cost of the locking tool, just for one use.

That was my problem I was buying for most likely one use however all other attempts had failed and I put on a wanted ad to borrow one but apparently nobody on the forum has one.

They are heavy aswell so by the time you pay postage or travel costs+ a tip for said person who borrows you the tool your pretty much half way there to buying your own.

I spent hours trying to make my own tool to no avail as it just bent the bolts.

Just bite the bullet and buy one you can always sell it after and take a small hit which you could consider rental.

Been trying this, swinging out of it like a chimp. No go. Theres no danger I will do damage if I really force it is there e.

I don't think so. I have the bar coming up the passenger side by the battery tray (I'd remove that too so you start with it against the inner wing/chassis bar) and then push it in toward the engine (rather than pull from the other side) as high up the bar as you can, mine is so long it can hit the bonnet so be careful if yours is the same. It will go/crack with an almost scary bang/jolt, but it will go.

I don't think so. I have the bar coming up the passenger side by the battery tray (I'd remove that too so you start with it against the inner wing/chassis bar) and then push it in toward the engine (rather than pull from the other side) as high up the bar as you can, mine is so long it can hit the bonnet so be careful if yours is the same. It will go/crack with an almost scary bang/jolt, but it will go.

That's exactly what I ended up doing.

Put it in 6th gear, handbrake on, bar positioned as you have described, and after much pushing and pulling nothing happened.

After various contortions and swinging about like a chimp, I ended up standing on the engine and pulling it towards me with a 6 foot steel pipe extension.

It was too long to stand on the ground and push it, couldn't reach the end to get all the leverage

It did go though, success finally :-). Some crack out of it.

Make sure you get an oem pulley as I bought an eBay special, bang on 2 years later and 30000 miles I needed a new one so learnt from my mistake and got genuine

Yes indeed, most definitely,

Going to be changing the timing belt and tensioners, crank pulley and bolt, water pump and gaskets, thermostat, fan belt, rad hoses and clips all new parts from Toyota.

Basically a front end refresh :).

Yes indeed, most definitely,

Going to be changing the timing belt and tensioners, crank pulley and bolt, water pump and gaskets, thermostat, fan belt, rad hoses and clips all new parts from Toyota.

Basically a front end refresh :).

Pretty much exactly what I did 2 years ago when my tensioner fell apart, hence trying to save money on the crank pulley, learnt from that mistake

Pretty much exactly what I did 2 years ago when my tensioner fell apart, hence trying to save money on the crank pulley, learnt from that mistake

I can fully understand saving the money, I have spent a small fortune on mine over the last 2 years. It was stolen and damaged, so quite a bit of rebuilding. Not quite back on the road yet, but getting there :).

I have read some horror stories because of using spurious parts.

Much better to wait and do it right, there are just some mission critical parts that should not be messed with.