The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Manifold gasket & studs and nuts

berg

Anyone know of, or recommend a good aftermarket replacement manifold gasket and manifold studs and nuts that are of decent quality for the GTE?

Been quoted £70 for the gasket (2pcs) and then another £70 for a set of 12 studs and nuts, genuine Toyota which in my opinion is ridiculous

I don't want to use one of those cheap cardboard silver gaskets with the dots on as ive heard they are crap

Ive found a seller who has a stud and nut kit for £30 but unsure of quality

Any ideas?

I used stainless steel bolts and cut the heads off to convert them to studs, this allows the stud to use the 10mm? of unused threads in the holes.

They need installing with 2 nipped nuts and with more stud into the aluminium threads they are stronger than stock and never rust.

Cheap as chips too.

Studs i was only buying as a "just in case", so if any broke i had some to hand ready, which is why i didnt want to spend £70 on parts i may not use

Can get the nuts at just under £2 each so around £20 for the 12 which i will be replacing regardless

Guess ill just have to fork out for the gasket as much as i dont want to lol

I used stainless steel bolts and cut the heads off to convert them to studs, this allows the stud to use the 10mm? of unused threads in the holes.

They need installing with 2 nipped nuts and with more stud into the aluminium threads they are stronger than stock and never rust.

Cheap as chips too.

Interesting method, thats what puts me off using the cheap ebay stud kit, ive seen how they rust on other cars and snap when removing a short time later

Do you know the thread spec?

EDIT: M10 x 1.25mm looks to be the correct pitch

Edited by berg (see edit history)

Interesting method, thats what puts me off using the cheap ebay stud kit, ive seen how they rust on other cars and snap when removing a short time later

Do you know the thread spec?

It's been a long time since I rocked that roll and can't remember those details. M8 or M10 1.5 or 1.25?

The weakest point is the aluminium threads in the head and with more steel further into them can only make them stronger.

Guest Budz86

Side note, probably worth running a tap down the thread just to clean it up if you're going to fit the studs deeper 😉

Studs i was only buying as a "just in case", so if any broke i had some to hand ready, which is why i didnt want to spend £70 on parts i may not use

Can get the nuts at just under £2 each so around £20 for the 12 which i will be replacing regardless

Guess ill just have to fork out for the gasket as much as i dont want to lol

Sorry to high jack this a little but do you have the part number for the nuts. I'm just installing new studs myself on the turbo side as installing a single setup. Had a couple which were sized to the nut but whole thing came out all okay. I just ordered 4 x studs to replace the seized ones from whifbitz as they had them in single quantities. Think they were around £5 each if you are only needing a few just in case.

Have no idea on the part numbers myself

I just ordered it all through driftmotion in the states in the end as i was ordering some other bits from them

Worked out around £70 for the gasket studs and nuts together genuine toyota which is alot cheaper than here