The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Broke down, need advice on why?

a98pmalcolm

Hey all. 5 hours from home on the way to my mates stag do and i think my coil packs have melted. Ive done 250 miles using the Syves lean/mot mode

My friend and I noticed light smoke coming from the vents so i pulled over and narrowed it to maybe oil vapor.

And over hour later my car had massive missfire, throttle non responsive and exhaust poping ect.. and then a load of smoke came from under the spark plug cover and engine cut off.

Any ideas why its done that. Im waiting for breakdown and dont have 5mm allen key to remove the cover to inspect..

I wonder if one of the little cam breather rubber hoses has collapsed?

Was there any loss of power before putting it in lean mode, or any unusual noises?

Also, Jason is right, you should never drive your car under such circumstances, especially if you suspect there's an oil issue.

No the car ran perfect. And was fine all the way here...

There new cam breather pipes..

Its my understandibg thats what lean mode is for. Motorway driving

I thought lean mode was for the MOT? So that it will pass the emissions test without cats?

Hope it's ok. Fingers crossed for you

I didn't mean it in a horrible way at all I just thought you might have done it for another reason due to a different fault. My understanding is that the MOT mode would be set to pass emissions meaning it isn't designed to be driven a long distance or a long time in that mode? I really hope it's not bad and you can get it sorted easily. Maybe you had a short or something. You won't know until you get the cover off and see.

Keep us updated!

Im thinking? Still, it shouldn't ne mapped to run in a way detrimental to the engine. Hopefully its just a connection gone dodgy.

It may have been mapped under the assumption it's stood still in a garage just idling. Even if it has to do a fast idle test isn't that 2500rpm?

It depends on how it was driven on the motorway. I'm sure it will have seen more than 2500rpm and some kind of boost though which it probably wasn't mapped for in lean mode?

I'm no expert though. Maybe running lean did just melt the coil packs & hopefully it's an easy fix

Hope you get it sorted mate.The lean is okay but I understood it for mot use being single on long distance cruise I doubt the turbo is hardly cutting in anyway so it should not be chucking down fuel that heavy even on low boost setting and if it is that's down to mapping

What was the AFR when cruising in this "lean / MOT" mode?

If the dwell time for the coils is wrong they may well overheat and eventually fail. The coil driver unit (amp) if used can also suffer if the dwell time is wrong. Whoever will be chosen to fix this will need more information

Sorry to hear this mate, seems a few of us on the forum have had issues with our cars recently, me and Jason to name a few. I'm sure you'll be back on the road in no time.

Back onto the whole 'lean' mode, why do mappers sometimes insist on adding a Cal option entirely for a 'lean motorway map' if driving the car lean for so long would cause damage?

Sounds like you've toasted it :(

Tbh i don't really understand the point in running it lean when doing motorway driving, a big single barely runs the turbo when cruising on a motorway - it's when they are at their most economical! Mine was anyway, i used to get 25mpg+

Yer spoke to my mapper lean wouldnt have done it. But to be sure Im not doing it again

Nationwide flex plus has been absolutly amazing. They have arranged with enterprise to give me nissan qashqai with all extras which i now have. So on monday i can do my 320 mile trip home in comfort on mondy and use for a few days. On monday after my short break with friends recovery man with special loader will pick my car up from the lodge to take home for me to fix..

Yesterday was a terriable day. Hit the road at 12.30.. Didnt get to my destination till 2am with out hardly eating and my health issues not helping..

Just one thing after another this week. Head unit going faulty again. Broke down. 1st recovery man sliced his hand and went onto shock so he had to be taken away as well as the loader. Then had to wait another hour for a different revovery loader to come designed for low cars. Nans funeral this friday coming, found a dent on the wheel possiable from recovery and to top it off my mate was so pissed last nighy he took a piss on the floor of thr room were sharing..

I think if Nationwide break down assist wasnt as helpful as they have been i think i would have popped.

So car will be back at work monday. I will check it out tuesday and order what i need..

Thanks for the support all. And sorry for the rant.

Edited by a98pmalcolm (see edit history)

Yer spoke to my mapper lean wouldnt have done it.

Nationwide flex plus has been absolutly amazing. They have arranged with enterprise to give me nissan qashqai with all extras which i now have. So on monday i can do my 320 mile trip home in comfort on mondy and use for a few days. On monday after my short break with friends recovery man with special loader will pick my car up from the lodge to take home for me to fix..

Yesterday was a terriable day. Hit the road at 12.30.. Didnt get to my destination till 2am with out hardly eating and my health issues not helping..

Just one thing after another this week. Head unit going faulty again. Broke down. 1st recovery man sliced his hand and went onto shock so he had to be taken away as well as the loader. Then had to wait another hour for a different revovery loader to come designed for low cars. Nans funeral this friday coming and to top it off my mate was so pissed last nighy he took a piss on the floor of thr room were sharing..

I think if Nationwide break down assist wasnt as helpful as they have been i think i would have popped.

So car will be back at work monday. I will check it out tuesday and order what i need..

Shit mate that is rough. Hope things look up for you

Yer spoke to my mapper lean wouldnt have done it. But to be sure Im not doing it again

Just one thing after another this week. Head unit going faulty again. Broke down. 1st recovery man sliced his hand and went onto shock so he had to be taken away as well as the loader. Then had to wait another hour for a different revovery loader to come designed for low cars. Nans funeral this friday coming, found a dent on the wheel possiable from recovery and to top it off my mate was so pissed last nighy he took a piss on the floor of thr room were sharing..

Just bad luck happens to the best of us bud. Things will get better.