The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Broken diff - advice needed

JackyBoi

Hello gents (and ladies?)

Today I discovered that I've destroyed the differential on my Supra (2001 V161 VVTi.)

I'm not sure how it broke, I don't drive the car particularly hard, anyway it's bit the dust so I need another one. As I don't currently have enough money for a TRD or Os Giken diff I was wondering what my best option would be in terms of price. I'm not great with the diff's on Supra's, my knowledge kind of stops with knowing there's a large case and a small case lol. I think mine is the latter. Anyway I'm totally open to opinions as to what would be a quick and cheap (but not nasty cheap) route to getting it fixed, whether it be another OEM unit, aftermarket product or whatever. Just nothing that's gonna break anytime soon! Thanks everyone

If you need a small case diff replacement then I think supraleeturbo has one for sale for a good price.

Thanks mate, just messaged him :thumbs:

Stock big case diff gets my vote

When I have the funds I'd be getting an OS Giken LSD most likely, which I assume would need a big diff case?

A02b torsen , until you have the funds for big case , there one in the for sale section.

I have a a02a open that i just removed from mine , was working fine , £100 done 135k

So an A02B Torsen is an option... Does the 'A' and 'B' at the end refer to 'open' and 'LSD'?

An A02A open diff would do the job but an A02B Torsen would do it better.

Please don't bin the prop flange on your broken unit, that'll get you £25 back. :)

Thank you for your help David :) are all the diff's for the Supra made by Torsen, or just the LSD ones, or am I way off? I won't bin it!

By the age of your car, it is quite likely that you had the A03B. That has a ratio of 3.266:1.

The A02B has the same case, so you wouldn't need to change the driveshafts like you would if you changed to a big case (B03B) diff.

The A02B has a ratio of 3.769:1 so you'd lose some top end per gear, but gain marginally in acceleration.

The A01B from the pre-facelift SZ-R is 4.083:1.

:thumbs:

Info in this link explains the diff codes. http://mkiv.supras.org.nz/specs.htm

Hi David,

I'm probably reading that wrong so bear with me but... does that table say that Pre facelift torsons were a worm gear type and Facelifts were hexical type? I never knew that if it's true? :search:

Also, the table suggests that every diff in a supra has 49 teeth on the crown wheel. I'm sure I saw a post the other day with a table saying some had 47? I remember thinking to myself that I would open the diff I've got in the shed to check if it's a facelift 6spd NA or TT.

Thanks.

I'm probably reading that wrong so bear with me but... does that table say that Pre facelift torsons were a worm gear type and Facelifts were hexical type? I never knew that if it's true? :search:

Also, the table suggests that every diff in a supra has 49 teeth on the crown wheel. I'm sure I saw a post the other day with a table saying some had 47? I remember thinking to myself that I would open the diff I've got in the shed to check if it's a facelift 6spd NA or TT.

I'm nerdish enough to look into this (previously, no time any more :) ), both points are correct for Jspec cars. Export cars have several different variations

By the age of your car, it is quite likely that you had the A03B. That has a ratio of 3.266:1.

The A02B has the same case, so you wouldn't need to change the driveshafts like you would if you changed to a big case (B03B) diff.

The A02B has a ratio of 3.769:1 so you'd lose some top end per gear, but gain marginally in acceleration.

The A01B from the pre-facelift SZ-R is 4.083:1.

:thumbs:

Thanks for the help mate I'll keep all this in mind!

I have a UK Spec Manual Diff for sale mate in excellent condition removed from a 90k mile car. It's just the internal diff itself not the case but should be good for you?

Wouldn't the UK spec be a big diff?