The mkiv Supra Owners Club

coilovers sitting odd

TT Paul

not sure on this done some googling seems its kinda normal for a lot of cars with sitting lower on drivers side front??

all fitted same height on springs and shock, all suspension arms, bushes, tyre wear etc.. is normal

about 20mm lower on drivers side front from floor to center of arch,

is best to leave or ajust it by-

winding up/down

shock

or

spring..

My stock suspension was the same. Sitting about 20mm lower on the drivers side and when I installed coilovers that were all set to the same height it was still lower on one side

I just wound down the other side to match. Not sure what causes it or why it's setup like that

My stock suspension was the same. Sitting about 20mm lower on the drivers side and when I installed coilovers that were all set to the same height it was still lower on one side

I just wound down the other side to match. Not sure what causes it or why it's setup like that

What do you ajust the spring or shock ?

[emoji3]

Well it makes sense as its the side that sat in the most lol

Not really, I installed new coilovers and the car still sat lower on one side. I'd have thought it should be level and then droop over time.

I lower it by dropping the damper into the lower housing like spikejacked said :)

Ahhhh that old chestnut. I remember this so well. It was the NIGHTMARE reason I had such a hellish time with my initial coilover choice.

Basically I can only put it down to 2 things:

1. Your car was in a bump and your chassis is twisted (thankfully this wasn't my situation).

2. Your wishbones are tired and have had one helluva life (this WAS my situation).

There are a couple of solutions. The first to try is to TRY and get your car raised on it's wheels. By that I mean a drive on ramp that you can loosen/tighten the suspension arms in situ. If that doesn't work, it's new/better wishbones I'm afraid.

As has been mentioned NUMEROUS times, especially by CW..... it's VERY important to have everything loose and the car settled before torquing everything correctly. If you torque one side at one height and the other at another... you're going to see uneven height, feel imbalance and cause premature wear.

Someone really needs to look into manufacturing replacement stock rubbers. The arms and wishbones are stupid money now :(

By tired wishbones I didn't mean sagging, mine were totally done. The inner bushing had siezed to the cam adjusters and the pre-loadings were all over the place. Unfortunately, in my case, loosening everything off to attempt to re-set it all didn't work due to the adjusters being seized. The front was a nightmare, I was prepared for the rears though.... just replaced everything :D

Thanks Chris, Am i right in thinking that coilovers and strut bars are for cars you intend to use in competition where you are looking for maximum performance and handling in the corners etc, i ask this as my car was lowered and fitted with Koni shocks as soon as i bought it new, to be honest at the time i just did what others did to these cars not really knowing why, well the lowering looked good and i knew the C of G would be better. But my baby corners quite well, it will take more than i can take on high speed corners, in the dry i hasten to add. My grandson has just bought a Subaru WRX with a big Greedy turbo circa 360 bhp at the wheels and as you will know all four wheels drive, it has all the suspension gismos on it as well, so you just could not IMHO match this with any Supra, no matter how much more power it had ? Herbie.

20160517_135152.jpg (192.3 KB) 20160517_142138.jpg (196.4 KB)

20160517_135152.jpg

20160517_142138.jpg