The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Like a scene from a horror film!

v6shep

So, had a few crappy months with the supra, when I say a few, I mean it's probably done 60 miles in 14 months. First started as a gearbox problem which (fingers crossed has been resolved). Which then led to very poor idling, then bad misfiring, until eventually not wanting to start at all.

Read my error codes, got advice from a few helpful as always members of this forum. Replaced a few bits here and there, which to be honest, where most likely the original parts from 23 years ago so where probably due to be changed anyway.

But, after doing these odd bits and bobs, still nothing, until last night!

The car was towed over to a garage I know and we Both got cracking on with it. Fired up a few times, sometimes running rough, sometimes sounding sweet, either way,at 2k rpm, instant cut out.

Tried one more time, it fired up! A little rough, but running, my mate ran over to his tool chest to grab a spanner to loosen the distributor to adjust the timing, just as he turned to come back over, all of a sudden, smoke starts to appear from under the hood...

He ran over, I switched supra off, both get straight under the hood.

Now picture, those old-school fellas who enjoy a bit of the old "glass blowing", molten glass, glowing an extreme orange, and slowly expanding... Then imagine that as a CAT on my car...

I'd say after all the drama, even though I'm the least mechanically minded person I know, that yes, it HAS to be the cat that's caused me so much stress and anger. Obviously, the car hasn't ran at all long enough for me or anyone else to draw it down to the glowing molten first cat.

The only other visible damage we could see, as 4am was closing in and hours of endless stress, was a large oil patch and a pipe (not sure what pipe as not looked) was bent up in the way of the fan

Phew, I was hoping it would be that. Looks like I'll be hunting for power steering pipes now :-(

There was a patch for sure! But it didn't seem big enough for it to be anything else really, it spewed onto the floor, then just dripped, not like an oil slick if had been anything else. It's bent right up between the fan blades

Edited by v6shep (see edit history)

A blocked cat will have no effect whatsoever on the PAS system. I suspect the cat has melted due to either very weak mixture or more likely very retarded ignition timing or wrong cam timing. Metal substrate cats rarely collapse internally due to old age, in fact i have never, ever seen a Supra cat mechanically fail internally.

My mates na last year was having running issues and both cats had collapsed too. Just take the exhaust of and fire her up and I guess if she runs OK then you know that is your only issue

/QUOTE]

Cheers pal. I didn't think a possible 23 year old cat would be indestructible