The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Any quick fixes for the hatch rattle?

Getrag

had the same trouble got some foam double sided tape from motor accessory shop, just peeled off one side and kept building it up til rattle stopped. it's cheap and worth a blast.......

ok...ok ...just did this today!!!

thought i would save myself a fiver and remove them...got the parts on thursday from Toyota and went to it!!...F*cked up 3 screw heads with a crap screwdriver!! :D this was after i had trimmed away all the crappy rubber revealing the screw heads and the little metal plate!

Eventually went to the local garage i use who after 2 seconds removed the 4th screw.....then took 45 mins to remove the 3 f*cked screws by cutting the metal plates and pinching the screw heads to remove them...all this without touching the paintwork!!! :( :( phew!!!

i now have no rubber stoppers...and no rear hatch racket!! :D ....but now need 3 more screws (thankyou for that part number!!!) and am £30 out of pocket...and what p*sses me off is that the man in the garage (cos I give him such good custom) would have unscrewed all 4 screws and replaced the rubbers for nothing!! zero!!! zilch!!.....lesson learned!!!!!!!!! :banghead:

Irvine

ok...ok ...just did this today!!!

thought i would save myself a fiver and remove them...got the parts on thursday from Toyota and went to it!!...F*cked up 3 screw heads with a crap screwdriver!! :D this was after i had trimmed away all the crappy rubber revealing the screw heads and the little metal plate!

Eventually went to the local garage i use who after 2 seconds removed the 4th screw.....then took 45 mins to remove the 3 f*cked screws by cutting the metal plates and pinching the screw heads to remove them...all this without touching the paintwork!!! :( :( phew!!!

i now have no rubber stoppers...and no rear hatch racket!! :D ....but now need 3 more screws (thankyou for that part number!!!) and am £30 out of pocket...and what p*sses me off is that the man in the garage (cos I give him such good custom) would have unscrewed all 4 screws and replaced the rubbers for nothing!! zero!!! zilch!!.....lesson learned!!!!!!!!! :banghead:

Irvine

Sorry this is too late for you now, but this is how I ended up doing it:

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=25056&highlight=creak

I think we should probably add "How to change the boot rubbers" to the FAQ somewhere?

Here you go:

Lower rubber: 67281-14050

Screw: 90159-50116

Upper rubber: 67293-14050 (up to chassis 0035274)

Upper rubber: 67293-14051 (chassis 0035274 on)

Screw: 90159-08055

I might be wrong but I think that 67293-14051 is a later part, which can be used on all cars. I guess Toyota redesigned it from '96, to stop it splitting so easily?

Also, I think the upper and lower are the other way around. 67293-14051

being lower.

Personally, I think you only need to change the lower rubber cushions, as the upper stoppers are hard and don’t perish like the lower rubbers.

...Sorry to be pedantic!

:thumbs:

I dont suppose anyone haspictures of damaged and non damaged boot rubbers?

I for one would like to know which boot rubbers are the ones that actually casue a problem :)

P.S. Yes, I am lazy :)

it is defintiely the lower...they split across the top as on my car and are easily pulled away revealing the screw heads. i just had to assist with a stanley knife

Irvine

Sorry this is too late for you now, but this is how I ended up doing it:

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=25056&highlight=creak

I think we should probably add "How to change the boot rubbers" to the FAQ somewhere?

ok...just checked this url...definitely was not the way to go....i definitely think its the screwdriver...i used what i thought was a good square ended driver but it still had the edges cut away at an angle and ripped the head of the screw apart....the guy at the garage used a philips typeby it was like a normal philips with the end cut ff s that you had a completely flat star(cross) pattern which gave good leverage...all my drivers had similar but were not flat and angledback at the point ofcontact

hope this helps

Irvine

I can post some pics of boot rubbers.. I just got my replcements from Paul Whiffin (20 quid including all screws and bolts) and he always has them in stock - so if you dont want to wait yo could always call him. I will be fitting them sometime this week and pop some photos up then.

James

Would that not be a torx head screwdriver then?

havent a clue brian!!! :p

also noticed i should not type with 2 bottles of red wine inside me!!! :burp: :burp:

also...it takes two days for toyota to get the rubbers and they only cost me...£7.52 + vat :cool: aint got a price for the 4 screws yet - arriving wednesday!!! :eyebrows: