The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Sheer joy!

Chris Wilson

Customer dropped off a genuine 60,000 mile J-Spec auto, totally un-messed with save a FMIC, still on 16 inch OE wheels this morning. Rare to get a car in on the sixteen inch rims these days, and what a joy it was to drive on typical British road surfaces. Went beautifully, lovely car in super condition!

I doubt it will be going on big wheels, the owner is a more mature gentleman and appreciates just how rim changes can alter ride and handling. The MKIV is a really comfortable car with great compliance and NVH resistance in stock form, pity that there will be a swathe of owners who have never experienced it.

Really but there does seem to be alot of mention of magnesium oem wheels as stock,

Any rate when I weighed me stock 17s in for scrap they was shocked how little they had to pay out. I did see it In a thread some time ago someone said they was magnesium

Many aluminium alloys have some magnesium in the mix, but a proper old school race wheel (a "magnesium wheel") is mainly made of mag. They need lifing and regular x-raying, but are incredibly light! They corrode for fun and develop stress cracks. The FIA states all mag wheels have certificated crack testing done every X years.

Here's some possibly interesting reading:

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/general-archive/were-mag-wheels-ever-really-made-magnesium-88952/

And small brakes

They are ok if they are working properly but a stuck slider or piston and I agree they quickly drop below decent. I've had both types on numerous occasions, currently have some uk fronts on the bench for a tidy up and j specs on the car, and I'm not in a great rush to get them back on, but saying that I'm mellowing out so don't test them as much. As you ask more and more of the brakes it comes down to pad material, eg round a track a CW race pad in jspecs will perform better than a stock pad in uk's. Uk's are better all things being equal but the jspecs can be functional for most people. It'll be a compromise like most things, the stock 17's though are very close to the 16's ride and handling wise so you can have it all really, for me the point to get over is that 19's or even some heavy low offset 18's can rob an owner of the stock fluid feel.

Which is why I run an N/A 4.083 Torsen with Borbet TTE 18" wheels which have correct offsets and with 285 40 rear & 245 40 front tyres gives the same height of side-wall as stock 17" tyres and near as dammit T.T. auto final ratio.

Resulting with the ratio I need, with space for bigger brakes and side-walls of sensible dimensions for ride, traction and handling.

Edited by David P (see edit history)