The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Dashboard painting - 'cook' it after spraying or not?

Aerotop Dave

STOP where you are and step away from the oven !!!!!

DO NOT put the dash in there otherwise it will bend !!!!!

the base coatwill dry very quickly and the laquer needs to flow out otherwise it will be very dry , you really should get someone like me or Lovatt to paint it with 2K laquer as it will be much shinier than the 1 pack you will be using .

Dude :devil:

I know but it's too expensive and so many people have done it themselves I thought I might as well.

Liam charges £150 start to finish , i charge more !!!! :eyebrows:

It will take you hours and hours to remove the coating before you prime (etch primer) then prime (filler primer) then flat it with 600 wet or dry then apply basecoat then a good quality laquer then you will need to flat with 2000 wet or dry before trying to polish back to a shine and then wax , thats gonna take you 2 days and at best will look mediocre , it wont hold a shine like 2K material so in a few months it will look cak !!! :banghead:

So 2 days of your time and the material money !!! Id rather pay Liam and get it so it looks right :baa:

Dude :devil:

But I don't understand this as loads of people *have* done this successfully - witness the two threads about it in the FAQ section (and that's only this site. There's plenty of documented evidence on other sites).

I knew getting the coating off was a right git (that's well documented too!) but I wasn't under the impression that the actual painting was that difficult.

Firstly I agree that My dash looks god damn amazing :D however Blert, its actually a metallic highly laquered silver finish. Looks much better in the flesh.

Stripping the dash out takes about 30 mins the first time you do it, then it only takes 10 mins once you know how. The harder bit is removing all the switches / dials from the back of the panels. Once this was done I took the panels to my spray guy.

He said it took him about 2-3 hours to prepare the panels, then he primed them / base coat which dries quickly. Then Sprayed Silver and several coats of laquer.

I dropped them off at 8:00am one morning and picked them up 17:30 that night and re-fitted them. so cost me 10 mins of stripping out, a day with panels at body shop, 10 mins putting back in all for £120

Yup I cooked mine in the oven at 60. People have also cooked their lights in the oven and yes most manage to do it without melting them but some have indeed mullered their lights so I can see where dude is coming from by saying don't do it. My oven is a massive double fan assisted thing so i have no issues with anything plastic being too near to an element to cause localised overheating. You don't need to cook the paint but I did it in the summer at my gaff and kept getting stupid thunder flies sticking themselves onto the paint. Putting the panels in the oven surface dryed them faster and placed them in an environment less likely to get insectoids on. I also found that the paint spread a bit better and gave me a better finish. It is a lot of hassle and to be honest if I had the cash I would allready have gotten Liam to do my new cars dash rather than faff with it myself.