The mkiv Supra Owners Club

New "tracker" fitted today.

herbiemercman

Hi Guys, & and may be, the odd Girl, why not ? Had a new "Tracker" system fitted today, the original one was 16 years old, i rang them last week and asked them where my car was?, they said we will ring you back in 30 minutes, they did, and as predicted they said, we do not know, your "Tracker" is now obsolete ! ! !

I said, what if it had been stolen? no response.

Anyway the new one is in now with the latest technology, £288, and they will continue to honor my life time membership on the annual licence fee. I am with Adrian Flux and have been for 20 years, so the "Tracker" is a big hit for them.

Can you believe the well experienced engineer could not locate the old Tracker unit, i tried to help him and nearly every removable panel was removed, eventually he decided to just start from scratch and leave the original system alone. You have to say this is a credit to the Tracker company, as avoiding theives finding the unit was a key part of their claims for reliability. The new system works on VHF signalling and is tied in with all UK police forces, also every 30 days the activation is checked, to ensure all is working. The new unit, like the old one, alerts the control centre if you for example go on a ferry, like i do to the Isle Of Man, the movement sensor activates if the car is moving without the engine running, in the past i had phone calls on the ferry, or if i was having tyres fitted etc.

Finally, why in the first place did i have a tracker fitted ? well i got my car stolen, right out of the grounds my house, my brother and i bought the two Supras new, both black, his tt auto and mine na manual, they were parked side by side and we were watching a Manchester United game, we could not see where the cars were parked, but my wife could see them, if she was looking, however, the thieves knocked the barrel lock out of the passenger door and then sheared the steering lock pin, then pushed the car out of my grounds and took off ! ! !

At half time my wife came into the lounge and asked me where is our credit card, i said it is in the Supra, she replied, no, your Supra is not there? I then used the "F" word and rushed out, we jumped in my brother's tt and shot down all the prospective lanes, but to know avail.

The car was gone for two weeks and i thought i would never see it again, guys i knock around with said, it's either broken don for spare parts or in a container bound for Australia. I was well pissed off, big time.

Then the phone rang, and it was the Chief Constable of Manchester Police, Lill King, i knew her, as two years previously she bought a Porsche 911 off me. She gave me a bollocking as i had Isle of Man plates on the car, which made it difficult to trace, it was abandoned at Manchester Airport area, and everything that could be removed, was removed, it was away for two months and cost the insurance company £7,000, this occured back in 1998.

So it is a long story, BUT it is why i want a "Tracker" fitted. Herbie.