The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Subaru impretsa. Wrx. Turbo. ?

herbiemercman

Yes, Just buying this for my grandson, it is white, looks fantastic and is up to 350 BHP, and four wheel dive.

I have another 100 BHP on my Supra, BUT in the rural roads i think i would be left for dead.

The Subaru is 1995, but is immaculate and has had thousands spent on it.

I think this breed is the alternative to what we eyedelise, it cannot match the supra in aesthetics, IMHO, but with the four wheel drive etc, i think it would leave us for dead on country roads ?

So what are other member's opinions on the Subaru. ? Herbie.

One of my sons had a on - off love affair with these for many years.

Absolutely superb car but sadly the inherent weakness (certainly in the forced induction models) seems to be the bottom end.

Handling is fantastic if set up well, and easy to remove engines which is just as well really. Pain to do simple things to the top end, like coil pack changes, rocker cover gaskets, valve seals due to being flat 4 and the heads being so close to the chassis.

The last one he had I blew up a day or so after he bought it just by giving it a hard launch. That was a nice STI with closed deck engine and cost me a fortune to get back on the road for him, the cause of this was the damper crank pulley hadn't been torqued correctly during its previous rebuild. There is a really good engine builder known as Tim "Subus" and he knows his stuff on the EJ20s and variants and we used him to rebuild it, and the guy who runs Jolly Green Monster Racing tuned it for us. Both of these guys who really understand these engines told us the same thing, the rot starts when the oil is changed and the filter housing, pump etc isn't primed before start up, that first second or so is the catalyst of all the future bottom end problems, so bear that in mind when doing oil changes.

Incidentally, my wife had one for a while but she had the Sports non turbo model and dressed it up to look like a wrx (seats, spoiler, bonnet etc) and by the time she sold it had clocked up well over 200,000 miles and still drove great providing her with miles of trouble free enjoyable motoring. Great car, chav image (although not so much these days), weak bottom end, low insurance if 4 door, pleasure to drive.

I see Fillipo Agresti is ahead of the RWYB points table again this year at SP with his stock looking WRX that is in the 10s most runs now.

Yes, Just buying this for my grandson, it is white, looks fantastic and is up to 350 BHP, and four wheel dive.

I have another 100 BHP on my Supra, BUT in the rural roads i think i would be left for dead.

I think this breed is the alternative to what we eyedelise, it cannot match the supra in aesthetics, IMHO, but with the four wheel drive etc, i think it would leave us for dead on country roads ?

Assume this is the different grandson to the one in the other thread?

I've had a couple . My first introduction to jap cars was a bob standard wrx. Great car but not very tuneable as I found out by upping the boost and melting a piston. Rebuild cost are v high.

Second one was a sti type ra . Superb car great to drive even good on fuel. My wife use it as a daily for a couple of years without any problems and I used it to race the local boy racers at the time:D

Hi Shane, many thanks for the post it is good info, going to pick the car up in Northampton on Tuesday, the guy has a garage, "Riverside Trucks" in Gladstone Close.Herbie.

Hi np89, Yes a different one the one in question does not drive. Herbie.

OK well I don't know the place in question, but good luck and I am sure if its a good one you will be pleased with it. All I would say is if there is any hint of a knock or rumble from the bottom end, just walk away.

Got any pics? :)

I currently have a blobeye wrx PPP impreza and i can vouch the handling of these cars is phenomenal, they have more grip than i do talent. Unfortunately (IMO) i find them quite boring to drive, even flat out. Just because of how safe and capable they are. Great cars all round in my book just doesnt tickle my pickle

Is it this one . No it's the 350 bhp with greedy turbo and a switch over on the two maps for 95 and 99 ron fuel, stacks of spare parts including the original bonnet, current one is light weight, the list of goodies fitted is endless. Herbie.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=182126042656&globalID=EBAY-GB

No it's the 350 bhp with greedy turbo and a switch over on the two maps for 95 and 99 ron fuel, stacks of spare parts including the original bonnet, current one is light weight, the list of goodies fitted is endless. Herbie.

We picked up the car yesterday, the seller was a fanatic, the car was fantastic, white bodywork, with face lift lights and bonnet, upholstry as new. When he fired it up it was very loud with the four inch diameter exhaust, i ask him about it, and he just lifted the boot lid and reached for a special silencer plug he had made, it just pushed into the tail pipe and had two thumb screws, a simple good idea. It had 18 inch wheels with 20 series tyres, quite wide, the engine was as sweet as a nut, big "Greedy" turbo and big oil cooler and a big FMIC, there was also a nitro injection connection, it had a stage 2 street clutch. I drove down in my big Merc estate which hits 130 on a good day and on the M6 toll i gave it welly, just to see Jack, my grandson shoot passed me, what a noise, and so stable,the BHP at the wheels is 360, it has one degree negative camber, and "Conie" shocks and lightened other suspension etc.

We filled the back of my Merc estate with a completely rebuilt engine, new fuel pump, new oil pump, new head gasket, new ECU, the list goes on, this car and spares was a real steal, i actually felt a bit embarast, the guy was a Mechanic of 20 years and was desprate for some cash, he said he was glad to see his baby go to a good home and we would keep in touch. A good day out. Herbie.

20160517_142138.jpg (196.4 KB) 20160517_135152.jpg (192.3 KB) 20160514_231336.jpg (207.0 KB)

20160517_142138.jpg

20160517_135152.jpg

20160514_231336.jpg