The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Toyota Dealerships - Your opinion

jaymdee

Probably been done before, but took my car into Platinum Toyota in Bath for Geometry alignment and was quite pleased.

Had all the stuff set to what I asked (Lance settings)

Rear hatch rubbers fitted

Suspension bushes checked over (all ok)

Suspension/mounting bolts checked (all ok)

Grand total of £104 !! :D

I was offered coffee, complemented on the car, including RSR exhaust, was not charged for extra time due to seized bolts, and when I asked to have the underside pressure washed to remove salt, was told that it had also been done and the car washed and waxed, ready for collection.

In all, extremely impressed with level of service.

What are other people's experience of the main dealers?

J

Guest ctrl211

I have a Soarer TT and my motor was the first one that had graced the doors of my local Mr T's. They had no problem with it and again gave out the compliments and a good level of service. I have been back for bits and pieces and they are always willing to help.

Shame about their hourly rate........£85p/h

I think you will find good and bad. Some members talk of good service and no problems, others report horror stories. I dont use my local dealer for anything other than parts. When I first got the car I asked them a few important technical questions about the car and they gave the wrong answer, as one could have cost me a grear box rebuild further down the line, they will not be toufching my car.

My local Toyota dealer is Simpsons in Uckfield, iv'e bought a few bit's and piece's from there, had a couple of job's done like :

Geometry checked & realigned

Boot rubbers fitted ( because the screw heads had rounded off )

Uk spec lights fitted myself but the beam had to be ligned up

Just stuff like that, and they've always given me 10% off parts and labour.

P.s And a fresh supply of coffee.:D

£104 which is roughly an hours labour + vat to do all that , any one of the jobs theyve done would take that long or longer so i really cant see how they have charged that !!

I see what you're saying, but the wheels certainly feel a lot better (and have readings etc), boot rubbers have been replaced etc. But I have to accept that they've checked the subframe bolts. He did say they charged a nominal half hour for the boot rubbers and half hour for the check on the bolts, even though it took them longer. He said rear bolts were seized for the alignments, but as he'd quoted £34 (+vat) he stuck to it.

J

By alignment do you mean tracking or a geometry set up ie Camber/Castor and Toe in and out , there is a bit of difference and really you should have the geometry checked and set to get the best from the car , this alone is over £100 anywhere , so it looks like you have had tracking and boot rubbers done which is more in line with that price .

Dude :devil:

My local Toyota Dealer "Canterbury Toyota" are completely useless and should not be used for anything other than getting Toyota Red cooling fluid.

I haven't used them for any work on the Supra after they told me that V160 oil was a myth and that I should give my car to them and they would use some oil from a big old tub of the stuff they have in the corner of the workshop.

For parts, if I asked them for anything, they wouldn't be able to find it, so I had to get the EPC and I had to give them parts numbers for everything.

Luckily, my brothers, girlfriends sister is the financial manager at a not so local dealership, so I can now get some serious discounts!! Forget the 10% dealer optional discount. :D

Toyota Dealers in Ireland

When I got my car, Sept 03, I rang about 6 or 7 different toyota dealers here in Dublin.

Only one, just one single dealer, would even consider looking at the car.

I wanted the timing belt changed, and a full service. Booked the car in about 2 weeks in advance.

Went to collect the car in the evening, no timing belt, another 2 days apparently,("big job, big job mate"), plugs not touched, 10 miles extra on the car, €250.00 for an oil change and filter.

Biggest shower of wasters I have ever encountered.

John

By alignment do you mean tracking or a geometry set up ie Camber/Castor and Toe in and out , there is a bit of difference and really you should have the geometry checked and set to get the best from the car , this alone is over £100 anywhere , so it looks like you have had tracking and boot rubbers done which is more in line with that price .

Dude :devil:

No, the full lot. Camber Castor & Toe, all set to (nearly) Lance's settings. I did query the price twice as it seemed cheap, but was told it was full optical alignment (is this different to laser alignment?). Steering is definately heavier (more castor) and he explained that one of the rears was toeing out slightly and was corrected. Seems above board...but I guess I'll never know, but it seems a lot better.

J

My local toyota is brilliant for parts and the guys give me good discount and always keep me informed on the progress of bits...

I've not had my car serviced there and never will (I stick to my two guys, Slowdog and Graham S who are brilliant)... the service manager from my local branch actually advised me not to service the car at the dealership since as he put it 'My guys don't know the car and I wouldn't want to get something wrong'.

And since I've not actually found a dealership with a service manual any more, I would stick to the enthuiasts who actually do know that they are doing.

Gav