The mkiv Supra Owners Club

(Help) Another wheel question

TRD-Rob

I'm ordering some wheels for Japan and they need to be right first time as if there wrong thanks to me there's no sending them back,so I just need some help as I don't know what the best offset and wheel width is best.

Im going with 18" so what would be the best width for the front and rear to get a nice flush look on a stock body car ? And also how do I get a bigger lip on the back then the front when ordering.

Sorry if I'm hard to understand,if you need more info just ask.

Thanks

Thanks for that mate but what makes the lip bigger on the back ? Only asking as I've seen loads of cars with a staggered fitting wheel but the lip front and back are the same.

The rim is 3 piece, the lip is a separate piece from the face and the inner barrel.

The width of the rim is 10J vs the front which is 9J so the inner barrel and lip end up wider.

Lip size on 3 piece wheels is dependant on offset. The higher the offset the smaller the lip, the lower the offset the bigger the lip etc. In 1 piece wheels most companies now design the wheels to simulate low offset style with bigger lips (i.e. Work Emotion D9R) regardless of the offset. So just depends on brand/design most of the time. But generally if you have a staggered set i.e. 9J front and 10J rear, it's likely the wider wheel will always have a slightly bigger dish too.

Ok I understand it better now,I guess not seeing them in person before ordering the is just a bit worrying as there not cheap lol

I've been told the best size to go for is.

Front:18"9j et 45

Rear:18"10j et40

Now the et are not that far off but I was hoping for a one inch lip on the front and two inch or a tad over on the rears.

Ok I understand it better now,I guess not seeing them in person before ordering the is just a bit worrying as there not cheap lol

I've been told the best size to go for is.

Front:18"9j et 45

Rear:18"10j et40

Now the et are not that far off but I was hoping for a one inch lip on the front and two inch or a tad over on the rears.

What wheels do you actually want?

Zero offset is the wheel face in the centre of the wheel barrel , + 44 offset is the Wheel face moved 44mm from the center towards the outer lip (Roadside), in other words the 44mm of the wheel will sit behind the wheel face (Wheel Center line and Wheel face), when you start to get into negative offsets the outer lip (Roadside) is deeper and the inner rim (Hub side) is smaller (deep dish)

Your offset can only go +/- from the center line before the wheel with start to foul the arch, then you get into Arch rolling to flare the arch to allow a greater negative offset to give the deep dish look

Edited by Jellybean (see edit history)

Volk racing te37sl

I just had a quick look at the size chart. I'd go for 18x10 ET40 and 18x9.5 ET40 or 45. They'd fit perfectly and maybe even need a very small spacer at the back to sit completely flush with a rolled arch and proper alignment.

I've 9.5 ET 25 rear / 8J ET25 and it's pretty flush. The front could do with sitting out about another 5mm on the front to be more flush for my liking.

EDIT: http://www.willtheyfit.com - use the calculator to work out differences in sizes and offsets :)

Edited by ashloys (see edit history)