The mkiv Supra Owners Club

new member advice on price please.

samm

Hi all new member here and would like some advice on pricing a car,it belongs to an old guy who visits my neighbour and I often admire his car and mention if he ever wants to sell to let me know,well today he said he's thinking about selling when I asked how much he said he wasn't sure what it was worth and to make an offer,its a P reg twin turbo auto (jap import) 57,000mls he has owned it for 8 yrs and always garaged,could some of you knowledgeable guys give me a ball park figure what it could be worth,thanks in advance samm.

Thanks guys it looks pretty stock to me, it's always difficult when someone says "make an offer" especially when your not that clued up on the cars but I've been doing a lot of reading up on here and have learnt a lot already from what seems to be a very good and friendly forum,hopefully I could be a future owner:)

Bare in mind the guy would probably get offered £4K if he was lucky at a Merc or Jag dealer, he's had it so long it'll owe him nothing. I'm not saying shaft him but perhaps go in lower, but condition is key to the price I'd offer. In the current market you are very lucky to have this opportunity to know the history and owner and decide without racing the masses to it, so I'd do my best to secure a deal you are both happy with.

I'd be checking the car out a bit more before making any offers, ask to meet the guy and go through the cars

history, ask him what's been done in the 8 years he's owned it.

Do an mot history check and hpi check at the very least !!

Many parts will be very tired unless they've been replaced, low mileage is no guarantee that it won't need a chunk of cash spending on it

Intercooler

Radiator & cap

Heater matrix

Brake caliper seals

Valve stem seals

Brake lines

Engine hoses

etc etc

Its a very useful tool and can give you a good insight in to how a cars been looked after, I was looking at a Merc SL recently

and 3 years on the trot it had advisories on tyres and the 4th year failed as they were through to the canvas

Didn't sound like a very well looked after car to me which after a call to MB turned out it wasn't !

• 1 month later...

I didn't exactly steal it but I got it for a very good price imo,the first job I need to do is get the cam belt changed any recommendations in the London/Essex areas? I've gone from a 4x4 owner to a supra owner so I'm really looking forward to picking it up and owning a sporty/fast car..pics to follow.

Unless it's a vvti, you don't need to panic about the cambelt, it won't cause any damage if it does snap, which they almost never ever do anyway. Leave it on the to do list yes just don't panic! With an Allen key you can remove the green centre cover and visually inspect the cambelt for some peace of mind. Checking the crank pulley is probably more important.

Hi I picked up my supra today here's some pics when I got it home I'll post some more after I've given it a good clean over the weekend,it's totally original even down to the Japanese radio 48000 genuine miles the down side is there's no service history!

IMG_20160608_194809.jpg

IMG_20160608_194824.jpg

IMG_20160608_194953.jpg

IMG_20160608_194943.jpg

IMG_20160608_194840.jpg