The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Where to import and what to upgrade??

Supra94

Hi guys,

I'm new around here so sorry for the "noob" questions I may ask.

Ever since I was a young kid, now 22, I've always loved the supra. Now I have enough money to buy a supra and was wondering where should I import it from? I've been on auto trader but they are all auto and high mileage. I'd like a manual from 1993 to 1998?? I think? The mark iv version is the one I want. I've seen one in Japan for sale for 28 thousand ponds it's manual and 13000 miles only. The reason I don't want to buy it is because it's been modified on a distasteful manor. But once I do go ahead and buy one I ideally want it to handle like a beast. I'm not too fussed about top end speed because in UK there are no roads where you can hammer the car without cameras watching.

How much would I be looking to spend to make my supra, when I buy one, a grip and corner monster. So stuff like suspension, tyres, brakes and all the handling side of things?

How much would I be spending on engine modifications?

Sky is the limit but I ideally only want 550bhp.

I've seen the terms boost and all but I don't really know what they mean so if you do respond please explain :)

Thanks all.

This won't happen soon but when It does I will post pics of the car and hopefully meet some of you guys.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A twin turbo will never get to 550 without hybrids and other mods so you are better off with a single Turbo, it's more efficient too. What is your budget? You are better buying one with all the mods you want, it's cheaper for you in the long run. If you want a fresh import try JM Imports who are traders.

Have a look at the class field on here and put a wanted thread up.

Do a lot of reading up on here using the search function and take a look at all the buying guides.

Regarding suspension, you can spend as much as you've got but talking to someone who REALLY understands it will work best. Chris Wilson on here, for example. Steer clear of 'tuning' firms (most will just bolt bits on) and look at racing engineers who get the basics of car chassis design.

A decent diff is crucial too.

Your better buying one with all the mods you want, it's cheaper for you in the long run.

Have to disagree with that. You'll spend the whole time you have the car trying to unpick someone else's mods and figure out why it's not right. Buy standard and carry out carefully considered mods yourself.

Have to disagree with that. You'll spend the whole time you have the car trying to unpick someone else's mods and figure out why it's not right. Buy standard and carry out carefully considered mods yourself.

If it's build by the likes of SRd or whiffy

Then your onto a winner most of the time.

Do a lot of reading up on here using the search function and take a look at all the buying guides.

Regarding suspension, you can spend as much as you've got but talking to someone who REALLY understands it will work best. Chris Wilson on here, for example. Steer clear of 'tuning' firms (most will just bolt bits on) and look at racing engineers who get the basics of car chassis design.

A decent diff is crucial too.

Yh I will I'll look at posts here because most of you guys know what you're talking about. And no I won't take it to tuner firms as I'm not dumb and know they want to do as little work as possible for the most amount of money.

I'm a total novice when it comes to engine and such do I guess I'll have to learn my self.

Yes, ideally I want it to handle and grip like a dream in all speed conditions. Top end speed not fussed, enough to outpower the lambos and m3, c63 and such :)

No they are well known traders and often their customer

Cars come up for sale on here. You

May even tempt folk to sell just put a wanted thread up. If you buy from here then you are more likely to get a better history of the car you are buying rather than a Japanese service history if you import fresh

As above, look at the classifieds on here, put up a wanted thread (when you really know what you want) speak to Jurgen at JM Imports, but do your research first. And prepare to be patient - it's easy to buy the first one you see as the desire to buy one is strong. Attend a few meets/shows where this forum's members will be, look round the cars and talk to the owners - start to get a feel for what's good and what's not. There are those who love the twins, those who love singles and those who swear by NAs. The manual box versus autobox is a discussion that will rage on long after time ceases to be but both have their advantages and disadvantages - it has to come down to your choice based on experience and needs. If you have a healthy budget then the world's your oyster but factor in insurance as you are 22. Don't be afraid to ask any questions - there are members on here who have more knowledge than anyone anywhere.

Hello and welcome!

What's your reason for wanting 550bhp? Have you experienced a car that has that kind of power, for example? Do you know what it feels like? Nothing wrong with aiming high, but there are trade-offs when you want to get more power out of a car (always cost, sometimes reliability). If it's to have one-upmanship against a guy down the pub who brags about how many ponies his motor's got, think hard about whether you want to do it.

Boost refers to boost pressure, in this case generated by the turbos. Contrast this to an NA (normally aspirated) version: these have no turbos, and hence no boost.

As above, look at the classifieds on here, put up a wanted thread (when you really know what you want) speak to Jurgen at JM Imports, but do your research first. And prepare to be patient - it's easy to buy the first one you see as the desire to buy one is strong. Attend a few meets/shows where this forum's members will be, look round the cars and talk to the owners - start to get a feel for what's good and what's not. There are those who love the twins, those who love singles and those who swear by NAs. The manual box versus autobox is a discussion that will rage on long after time ceases to be but both have their advantages and disadvantages - it has to come down to your choice based on experience and needs. If you have a healthy budget then the world's your oyster but factor in insurance as you are 22. Don't be afraid to ask any questions - there are members on here who have more knowledge than anyone anywhere.

Atm I'm working 7 days per week so can't really take days off due to greed by once I have my own firm in what I'm doing I'll take 2 days of a week and buy a supra then :) yh it's all about preference but one thing I won't buy auto :)

Hello and welcome!

What's your reason for wanting 550bhp? Have you experienced a car that has that kind of power, for example? Do you know what it feels like? Nothing wrong with aiming high, but there are trade-offs when you want to get more power out of a car (always cost, sometimes reliability). If it's to have one-upmanship against a guy down the pub who brags about how many ponies his motor's got, think hard about whether you want to do it.

Boost refers to boost pressure, in this case generated by the turbos. Contrast this to an NA (normally aspirated) version: these have no turbos, and hence no boost.

Hi pal,

The reason is I want 550bhp is because I don't want to go too crazy. Would 400bhp be enough to puts speed and accelerate the c63 m3 and such cars?

And no haha never had anything sporty in my life, I've just always loved the supra. So this will be my first true sports car. I'm not a badge wore otherwise I'd buy a c63 but I'd rather build my own car and I've always loved the supra.

No haha it's not to one up the man in the pub, I'm a Muslim so I don't drink :), it's for my personal use and I want it to be my pride.

I'd say my perfect supra is one that can handle like a dream and be able to grip well and great cornering.

That's about it haha :) top end speed I just want to be able to obliterate the c63 and such my mate has a c63 and it is a great car but like I said I'm not a badge whore and I doby want one :)

Budget is not an issue, I'd just like to build the perfect supra :)

And thanks for clearing up the boost thing :) abflug-supra-zefir-complete-body-kit-abflugsuprazefir1-3.347.jpg

That's what I'd like my supra to look like. A wide low stance grip monster :)

Drive both and then decide - it's a common misconception that driving the auto is not 'real' driving but the Supra autobox is one of the best you'll ever drive

Haha no it's not that it's not 'real' driving it's I just prefer manual as I can control when to shift and such. I know autos are the best now as the gtr is auto and all other big brand sports cars. I'm just used to the manual side of things :)

That's what I'd like my supra to look like. A wide low stance grip monster :)

Nobody wants a Supra to look like that abortion so stop lying.

Alot of people come on here similar to yourself and bragging rights does play a part in this as you're mate has a C63. Before you do anything silly, research and ask questions because something low and wide doesn't translate to 'grip monster'. Infact Supra launch terribly really when compared to other cars - but have fantastic rolling acceleration.

Nobody wants a Supra to look like that abortion so stop lying.

Alot of people come on here similar to yourself and bragging rights does play a part in this as you're mate has a C63. Before you do anything silly, research and ask questions because something low and wide doesn't translate to 'grip monster'. Infact Supra launch terribly really when compared to other cars - but have fantastic rolling acceleration.

No, I really do want my supra to look like that.. what's wrong with it. It's nice and wide and low. It's all personal so be easy buddy.

I know the supra does not launchave well but it's my favourite car so I want to make the best out of what I can. I know they don't corner like the gtr but still I want to make the most out of it.

Personally I love the look of that supra and quite frankly I don't care if other people don't like it. It's going to be mine and that's all that matter's :)