The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Automatic Gearbox?

Guest Andreweccy

Guest Andreweccy

Im currently on the market for a Supra, ive been looking at 3.0 NA Manuals 3-8k, purely down the the fact i know nothing about the Auto boxes or the engines.Would anyone be able to shed a little more light of possible?

Common problems/issues?

Am i better off getting maunual or Auto?

Power limitations?

Personal opinions/preferences?

Prices difference?

Would NA be better and put on turbo myself or would i be better buying a single/twin turbo due to engine specs?

Thanks.. look forward to becoming a regular on here.

Your better off buying a turbo car (2JZ-GTE) if you want to be turbo this will also be cheaper in the long run.

Go out for a ride in a Auto TT or single if you can get to a club meet I am sure someone will be willing to take you.

The kick down in a auto is savage, but its personal preference whether you want manual 6speed or auto.

I think i speak for all the Non turbo owners here, dont bother to buy unless its a twin/single turbo from the get go. Ive had my NA for 8 years now, dont get me wrong its a beautiful drive - its taught me many things mechanical and still puts a smile on my face to this day...but....honestly, its just too slow. Modern day diesels have no problem keeping up nowadays. At some point down the line you will wish you would have just bought a turbo - trust me lol.

Going down the route of turboing the NA is possible, but its just a faff and extra expense. Its what im doing now - and if you have the patience and some spare cash and time, i would definately recommend it - otherwise just buy the TT, will save you a lot of hassel if you want to go turbo in the future.

Common problems/issues? none really, an auto shouldn't have any clunks on shifting and should impress with it's smoothness. Manuals only issues are from running too much power through one.

Am i better off getting manual or Auto? define better off!? dynamically/playfulness wise a bit yes, financially better off having an auto.

Power limitations? very approx. NA auto

Personal opinions/preferences? Manual is more important in an NA to extract the performance but I like my old NA auto (which ever you get try and get one with a LSD)

Prices difference? Auto should always be a grand or two cheaper with everything else like for like.

As above if you crave the high 300's power wise then I'd say wait and get a TT, the NA may be slow compared to a new diesel, but so is similarly a clio 172. Lacking outright pace compared to a 'normal' car doesn't make the car rubbish, the zappy revvy and nibble 172 and the smooth, grippy smart looking NA Supra give something a A4, Octavia, Mondeo etc tdi can't.

TT autos are lovely, no experience of NA autos long term. Did pop a boost hose once, which led to a very slow drive about, but that was with less power than an NA and I'd been used to TT power. Cant say the auto was bad with no boost, it certainly wasn't exciting though!