The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Clutch recommendations for 700 - 800bhp

Dim Sum

I really like my HKS LA Twin. It is reasonably light and has a sprung centre, so it feels somewhat normal :D

Might be pushed a bit much at the power levels you are at though to be honest, but worth a word with Lee about it as well as he may have installed it in some cars of similar power figures with good results.

http://www.hks-power.co.jp/en/product_db/power_train/db/10832

Not sure I would be looking to spend a grand for the replacement of a working clutch when the goal is only another 90bhp, unless you are planning on drag racing it

Upon re-reading the original post - I agree with Dean here. Is the hike in power the sole reason for your intention to change clutch? Or do you dislike the RPS feel?

If the latter, give the HKS a go ;) Though make sure it isn't the HKS GD - they are horrible :D

Not sure I would be looking to spend a grand for the replacement of a working clutch when the goal is only another 90bhp, unless you are planning on drag racing it

No plans in drag racing it. Just a nice weekend drive :cool:

If the car hits over 800bhp then its fine. But goal would be hopefully around 800bhp

I'm going for the HKS LA twin here and aiming for 800rwhp. If you look at the site below or the link James posted it can take up to 720nm of torque happily and under condition (read heavy load from time to time) up to 830nm torque so it should happily shift with your power goals mate.

Lee recommends this one.

http://www.hks-power.co.jp/en/product/power_train/la_clutch_twin/index.html

Edited by Sheefa (see edit history)

I'm going for the HKS LA twin here and aiming for 800rwhp. If you look at the site below or the link James posted it can take up to 720nm of torque happily and under condition (read heavy load from time to time) up to 830nm torque so it should happily shift with your power goals mate.

Lee recommends this one.

http://www.hks-power.co.jp/en/product/power_train/la_clutch_twin/index.html

How much did that cost you?

A 800 hp Supra on a bit of ethanol will be 800++ nm of torque.

No ethanol on my build. Maybe on Gregs :D

Guest Budz86

830 nm is 612 ft lbs, which is the max torque for short periods. The recommended limit is 720 nm, which works out as 530 ft lbs. Sounds a bit close to me if the aim is 800 hp, especially as you're upgrading it. Personally I'd go for something with a little more headroom.

Out of interest, what mods you planning on doing to raise the power? Just being nosey :D

Greg, if you're shooting for 800whp the hks might also be pushing it. Mine made 790 at the hubs and 630 ft lbs with ethanol. On pump it was 690 and about 550 ft lbs. 6466 gen 2. I've got a OS Giken twin plate and that's just started to slip after a few thousand miles, would like an LA as they sound like really nice clutches but can't see it lasting 5 mins unfortunately

Greg, if you're shooting for 800whp the hks might also be pushing it. Mine made 790 at the hubs and 630 ft lbs with ethanol. On pump it was 690 and about 550 ft lbs. 6466 gen 2. I've got a OS Giken twin plate and that's just started to slip after a few thousand miles, would like an LA as they sound like really nice clutches but can't see it lasting 5 mins unfortunately

/QUOTE]

Thanks Dean. Yeah I k ow I'm on the limit but I guess the majority of time I'll be running around 600-700rwhp with the occasional max boost run so am hopeful it'll hold. Time will tell I guess. Not sure what else to go for and sold the RPS twin carbon after hearing the horror stories about it flying through transmissions.

Guest Budz86
Thanks Dean. Yeah I k ow I'm on the limit but I guess the majority of time I'll be running around 600-700rwhp with the occasional max boost run so am hopeful it'll hold. Time will tell I guess. Not sure what else to go for and sold the RPS twin carbon after hearing the horror stories about it flying through transmissions.

I've been looking at the OS giken stuff again, and been offered good deals on the triple and quad plates. Only thing that puts me off them is the plate rattle, although I've gotten used to it of sorts with my current one. RPS tripple carbon that Steve is selling is also a consideration but I need to hold fire on the clutch for the moment due to finances. Will be interesting to see how well the LA holds the power, I'm just not daring enough to do it! Lol. I think you're right in the sense that it won't be running full power all the time so stands a much better chance. Quite a few people are going that route so hopefully it works!