The mkiv Supra Owners Club

WILL THE STOCK NA'S. & tt's BECOME RARE ?

herbiemercman

Hi Dudes, I imagine that not all Supra owners want to make their car look like something else and carry out an NA/T conversion ?

After 19 years of owning my 100% stock NA from new, i decided to go for the best NA/T power upgrade and also aquired rear spats, face lift headlights and rear lights, and top quality leather seats.

For me this gave me a new lease of Supra life, the car looks better, it out performs my brother's TT, he is stock auto, mine is manual and limited slip dif.

On dry days the actual power and road holding out of fast bends is awesome, handling is superb.

I often wonder how the Japs did this so long ago, they could not have known that they started one of the world's best respected and well known car cults. They must have realised this and kept us all well supplied with spare parts etc. Could they have known that 15 to 20 years on their engine design and robustness could be taken to 1,000 BHP ?

Anyway, what do you think ? how long can this continue? will the continuous upgrades, like me go back to stock? Herbie.

Edited by herbiemercman (see edit history)

I think that there come a point in a cars life that when its stock, clean and has decent history its worth its weight in gold (cars over 25 years old in my opinion) and supra's being such as easy car to mod and having a vast catalogue of aftermarket styling parts available to them only makes the stock supra's even more rare. The number of registered supras on the roads today has been dropping fast and half of them are tatty and abused which pushes the values up even faster, i reckon that by the time our supra's reach the ripe old age of 30 its going to be the stock ones that eccentric rich guys will want in their collections as memorabilia peices, and its at that point that i reckon (based on price rises and ages of other iconic cars) that supras will be worth atleast double what they are now.. just my thoughts anyway :)

Depends on your location to some extent. In south Africa the supra was never officially imported. There must be less than 30 supra in the entire country. Getting an import permit to import legally is also nigh on impossible. Due to this when they do come up for sale,ridiculous prices are called.

In the last 2 years I've seen a few na supra sell for the equivalent of 8000pound. Tts sell well in excess of 10000pound regardless of spec. Both these examples do not take into account stock body or bodykit or extras. As long as a supra comes up for sale in whatever condition it will sell.

The market is very different here. We don't have the luxury of taking a"purist" approach for such a car.

Take a look at the us market for example. Astronomical prices are paid for the supra and skyline r32/33/34. Legislation and import restrictions and other policy plays a big part in the pricing of cars like these.