The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Splitting Crank Pulley?

MattP

I'm aware that crank pulleys are big issue on our aging cars and as a few of you are aware I have been pulling my brothers VVTI block apart this winter as a matter of general maintenance.

After a while of tinkering I got the crank pulley off and I found what look like 2 split markings in the rubber ring I'm not surprised by this but just to emphasise the tip ex test is not conclusive.

I marked this pulley last season as a matter of course and it had shown no signs of moving however as you can see it looks kaput.

I'm correct in asserting those two split marks shouldn't be there...

OLD UNIT

New Unit

You usually see a crack forming all the way round the circumference of the rubber/metal interface, this 'two slits' look is a new one on me. Obviously shouldn't be like that but if the bond otherwise is sound then I suspect the reduction in strength is minimal and it could have years left in it. Saying that if doing some overall refreshing work you can fit and forget so ten years plus.

He fitted a pattern one he bought from a trader on here, and it came apart while he was driving. Luckily the damage wasn't too bad.

The outer ring fall off?

I was of the same thinking as you about fitting a new one every 5 years it's a simple enough job now I have the proper Toyota lock up and Puller tool.

I was looking at the Fluid damper and Titan units but the Titan needs to be rebuilt every 5 years and the fluid damper has no way to check it's working the first you will know it's gone wrong the crank will have snapped :/

So went for the tried and tested unit.

- - - Updated - - -

Actually looking again I do not believe the old one is a genuine pulley, it has no balancing (my assumption of what they are) dimples on the inner piece, so I'd change it.

The balancing is on the rear of the old one hang on il get a photo .