The mkiv Supra Owners Club

A £3500 alternative to the V160?

CASHEYE

Yup it has been mentioned quite alot. I haven't seen a video of this Supra racing with it yet though as he has just installed his for the start of this season, so that will be interesting. I believe this is the box used in all the Vipers, some pushing 1500+ bhp so i imagine it would work well in a Supra.

Yup it has been mentioned quite alot. I haven't seen a video of this Supra racing with it yet though as he has just installed his for the start of this season, so that will be interesting. I believe this is the box used in all the Vipers, some pushing 1500+ bhp so i imagine it would work well in a Supra.

He's just layed down a 9.4 @ 176mph. Still getting to grips with the launch with the new trans.

Said it feels strong up top though.

Would be worth putting the gear ratios into the forum calculator to see how it compares :)

Possible problem is that the Tremecs are double overdrive to help the American manufacturers meet their CAFE targets. OK for a big torquey V8, not so good for a revvy little turbo 6.

Your also looking at 6half grand for the kit with clutch and the shafts?

But its brand new so its a relative bargain, or you can chance it on a 22 year old rare V160, very little new parts support, "with low mileage'' if you prefer. If mine fails I would be tempted by this for sure.

Presumably if the car is putting down less than 700 lb/ft, the gearbox would be covered by warranty too? Plus, in the future the box can be rebuilt, or a replacement would be much more readily available. IF a decent clutch setup is available for it, it's a no brainer in favour of the Magnum IMO.

Where have you fond a spec for the torque handling of the V160 please? i would have expected Getrag would have rated it to be LESS than 500 ft lbs.

I found a Getrag page a while back that had the torque rating in LB/FT, it was circa 345 IIRC. The Getrag box used in the BMW 540i and 850CSi was also listed, which had a higher rating.

Where have you fond a spec for the torque handling of the V160 please? i would have expected Getrag would have rated it to be LESS than 500 ft lbs.

Officially info from Getrag will be lower, I meant from the usage of the many modded Supras around, the agreed limit is surely more than 500ftlbs?

In the same way J-spec turbos agreed limit is 1.2 bar even though stock is 0.75bar.

It's ridiculous to arbitrarily make up a torque limit based on how many shred their internals. Getrag won't be in the habit of quoting a limit based on hearsay, it will be based on weeks of testing to destruction and although probably conservative it is a figure that can be trusted I am sure. 345 ft lbs sounds a lot more believable than 500 ft lbs as a manufacturers figure.

£5923 + vat + duty + shipping so at least £7380 landed with a twin plate clutch and ali prop.

http://www.rodshop.com.au/index.php/toyota-1jz-and-2jz-to-t56.html

You have to source your own gearbox and rear prop yoke but better value.

TR6060 is about £2.5k landed

Until someone over here does a Tremec conversion properly with a drive in drive out service that idoesn't cost the moon nobody will take a punt. I'm a bit pissed off mine isn't suitable (bell housing is integral like the V160) as I would have bought a kit and kept the 2jz.

Edited by Nodalmighty (see edit history)

It's ridiculous to arbitrarily make up a torque limit based on how many shred their internals. Getrag won't be in the habit of quoting a limit based on hearsay, it will be based on weeks of testing to destruction and although probably conservative it is a figure that can be trusted I am sure. 345 ft lbs sounds a lot more believable than 500 ft lbs as a manufacturers figure.

I understand, sorry for commenting.

I understand, sorry for commenting.

Not at all, I was meaning it's ridiculous for people in general to cite figures, not you in particular, like they do when they say a stock bottom end will handle 1000BHP. Never seen any 2JZ on a proper engine dyno show 1000BHP. And if they did, for how long? You only have to look inside a gearbox or a transaxle from a genuine huge torque car to see the gear centres and gear width needed to handle serious torque of that magnitude for any sort of duration. The V160 is tough, and has survived a lot of abuse, but making up new torque figures just clouds the water IMHO.