The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Who has Nitron Coilovers on their car??? Opinions Wanted Please

TOMMO-RH9

Hi everyone.

I am looking to hear from anyone who has either the Nitron R1 or Nitron R3 Coilover kits on their car (pref both) who ideally also use them on the road.

I have a new project coming and would love to hear from anyone with actual experience about any differences/improvements they noticed over any previous set ups. Would be nice to hear some positive reviews about the benefits if i'm going to spend double over something like KW Variant 3 etc.

Thanks

I have Nitron R1 which I use alot road use only. What do you want to know, what is your goal for your car and I can probably offer some of my own opinion.

Amazing. Perfect.

I'd just love to know...how you find their general attitude when using them day to day. I find on track its normally smooth and your playing around with pressures and settings it doesn't matter as much. How do you find the general road holding and ride of your supra on the road? Are the nitrous noticeably "better" then any other coilovers you have had? Do you feel they were worth the investment?

Thanks for your time and opinion - much appreciated!

I will respond firstly in terms of investment. In short Yes, there is noticeable construction quality over one of the off the shelf items and was noted by SRD that they were surprisingly light, especially incomparrison to the new HKS hypermax. Being built in the UK it also allows easy maintenance, £80 ~ £90 per corner depending how deep you want to go. If you ordered spring rates that are too stiff, you could easily tie a change in with a service.

The ride is good,however I can only compare them to my teins, which I didnt particularly like much, the nitrons have helper springs which force the wheel into the road when the car goes light. The rebound is definitely harsh and I have the shocks set to their softest setting at the rear. (Check my build thread for spring rates).

On a good smooth road they feel fantastic, very little body role and confidence inspiring grip. I wouldnt want R3, thats a track only shock really. I would speak to a few traders and see if you can get yourself a better than listed price. I would say they are worth their extra pennies, and the difference could well be saved come service time. If you are the Dragon ball you are welcome to have a good look around the car, see what you think. Hope that helps give you an idea, they are easy to live with everyday.

I will respond firstly in terms of investment. In short Yes, there is noticeable construction quality over one of the off the shelf items and was noted by SRD that they were surprisingly light, especially incomparrison to the new HKS hypermax. Being built in the UK it also allows easy maintenance, £80 ~ £90 per corner depending how deep you want to go. If you ordered spring rates that are too stiff, you could easily tie a change in with a service.

The ride is good,however I can only compare them to my teins, which I didnt particularly like much, the nitrons have helper springs which force the wheel into the road when the car goes light. The rebound is definitely harsh and I have the shocks set to their softest setting at the rear. (Check my build thread for spring rates).

On a good smooth road they feel fantastic, very little body role and confidence inspiring grip. I wouldnt want R3, thats a track only shock really. I would speak to a few traders and see if you can get yourself a better than listed price. I would say they are worth their extra pennies, and the difference could well be saved come service time. If you are the Dragon ball you are welcome to have a good look around the car, see what you think. Hope that helps give you an idea, they are easy to live with everyday.

exactly the sort of info i was looking for - thanks very much

I also have nitrons and you will notice the where the extra money has been spent when you start hitting the corners! As said above the cost of buying them is a lot but once brought a full rebuild would cost about the same as a set of HSD coil overs. There after sales team is spot aswell, really can't fault them at all

I also have nitrons and you will notice the where the extra money has been spent when you start hitting the corners! As said above the cost of buying them is a lot but once brought a full rebuild would cost about the same as a set of HSD coil overs. There after sales team is spot aswell, really can't fault them at all

great - are you on the R1 kit as well? did you go for standard or custom spring rates? how do you find the ride quality just cruising around?

yeah - got to be honest i'm tempted to buy either the Nitron R1 kit or the Quantum Single Adjustable (which is the same high end custom uk based suspension with excellent customer service for anyone who hasn't heard of them).

great - are you on the R1 kit as well? did you go for standard or custom spring rates? how do you find the ride quality just cruising around?

yeah - got to be honest i'm tempted to buy either the Nitron R1 kit or the Quantum Single Adjustable (which is the same high end custom uk based suspension with excellent customer service for anyone who hasn't heard of them).

Pretty sure mine are stock sprig rates as you don't really need them higher unles increasing grip like using racing slicks! I personely don't find the ride to bad when cruising around but then I only use the car on the weekends. I have the R1 kit too, think anything else would just be over kill for the road

NTR R3's not ideal for the road, only race really.

I mean you can use them for the road but tbh you wont use the features and it would be waste of money.

I have R3's on my race Supra and they are simply the best thing I ever added to the car - set up properly of course.

Just having descent suspension does not mean the car will handle brilliantly out of the box so to speak, R3's in fact all aftermarket kits need to be set up properly.

NTR R3's not ideal for the road, only race really.

I mean you can use them for the road but tbh you wont use the features and it would be waste of money.

I have R3's on my race Supra and they are simply the best thing I ever added to the car - set up properly of course.

Just having descent suspension does not mean the car will handle brilliantly out of the box so to speak, R3's in fact all aftermarket kits need to be set up properly.

Thanks for the response.

Are people saying R3's aren't any good for the road because of the higher cost? I don't believe there is any difference in construction or seals or anything is there? (thinking like the difference between KW Variant 3 and their competition stuff which has different build and needs regular rebuilds).

I'm asking to try an get any opinions on the brand/products and also from anyone with experience of them on the road. The Skyline R34 I am getting rid of has coilovers, solid bushes, every rose jointed adjustable arm going and front and rear hub kits. I personally found it a little too much for regular road use. I am hoping that if I spend the money on better coilovers and have poly bushes / uprated arb's etc that the supra will handle well but also be a little nicer to live with day to day. Of course anything that I do end up with be subjected to full geo and corner weighting etc.:thumbs: (and supras defo need to be well set up to handle half decent in my experience)

I think I am swaying towards a Nitron R1 kit possibly with some (very slightly) softer spring rates than standard...

I would also look into Chris Wilsons Bilstein setup , was in Damiens Supra around a bumpy track , car was unbelievably comfortable and handling was fantastic

For the road they would be my choice, soak up the bumps yet handle fantastic when you push her on

- - - Updated - - -

I would also look into Chris Wilsons Bilstein setup , was in Damiens Supra around a bumpy track , car was unbelievably comfortable and handling was fantastic

For the road they would be my choice, soak up the bumps yet handle fantastic when you push her on

I did have a set of them on my old Supra - but sold them before it was on the road...I almost always go for coilovers for the added wheel clearance. CW Bilsteins are only slightly height adjustable though aren't they? I do do a lot of trackdays so do like having ability to stiffen thing up a bit for the circuit and wind it back off for the road...but if the wheel/tyre combo i want will fit and they are decent on track - then might be something to consider more seriously...

I did have a set of them on my old Supra - but sold them before it was on the road...I almost always go for coilovers for the added wheel clearance. CW Bilsteins are only slightly height adjustable though aren't they? I do do a lot of trackdays so do like having ability to stiffen thing up a bit for the circuit and wind it back off for the road...

Chris can put a specific set together for what you require.

Chris can put a specific set together for what you require.

what with adjustable damping? i thought his were fixed, with some small height adjustment possible? Kind of the opposite of what i need. I never change the height of my car once its been corner weighted...but i do change the damping.

what with adjustable damping? i thought his were fixed, with some small height adjustment possible? Kind of the opposite of what i need. I never change the height of my car once its been corner weighted...but i do change the damping.

You're best off dropping him an email, I know when I enquired about his suspension I was offered the choice of street or track.

You're best off dropping him an email, I know when I enquired about his suspension I was offered the choice of street or track.

i know he can set up custom rates...but didn't think there was adjustment.

i was chatting to him about alignment the other day. i will get back in touch with him.