The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Rolling Shell Values

SPG

Hi People,

With the recent rise in Supra prices and the slowly depleting Toyota parts stocks, what do we reckon a rolling shell would be worth?

I know many people opt to buy a cheaper NA-Auto Shell, and then build up from there. I'm not sure about everyone's outlook on starting with a NA shell, but for me I'd be looking to secure a TT shell if I were to build a car from scratch.

Would you agree that a TT6 rolling shell would be worth more than a NA-Auto shell?

I personally would pay a lot more to secure the correct shell for the spec I was going to build.

Please, opinions if you will :).

Manual Shell will defo be worth more... Will a UK Spec be worth even more?

I would be interested to see what shells are currently selling for...if they are selling or being scrapped.

I just picked one up off a mate for a small donation to something he is saving for.

Its all down to people willing to pay more for what they think is better/worth more. And thats it, To me a TT auto or NA auto shell is the same, and same for manual. Just becuase it left the factory a certain way etc etc is really nothing.

Really a shell, nowdays should be rock bottom money £300-£600 range for me as parts are expensive unlike 10 years ago.

Manual Shell will defo be worth more... Will a UK Spec be worth even more?

I would be interested to see what shells are currently selling for...if they are selling or being scrapped.

I just picked one up off a mate for a small donation to something he is saving for.

Why would a UK spec one be even more? They are all the same and all built in the same factory in Japan UK, Jap, Euro, doesnt matter

If I had a UK spec, and / or manual TT she'll, I would expect a premium. Same goes for a later model year shell, I'd expect more for a 2002 than a 93.

All depends on marketing it properly :)

I totally get the manual/auto difference having done the job myself. I think even for a purest the UK spec premium is a step too far.....for me anyway, and i have a UK Spec!lol

Glad to see we have varying opinions, exactly what I was looking for when starting this thread.

I guess like anything, it's what matters to the potential buyer and their use for the car.

You might want a project to learn from and a fun car to own and use. This can be achieved with a either a cheaper shell or one that commands more of a premium.

I reckon it will become more important in the years ahead when people start collecting these cars, at that point I'm certain, the vin plate and history will come into play more.

£1200 would get you a decent shell a couple of years back, but a TT6 shell seems to be quite tough to obtain these days.

UK specs I'm thinking will command a premium due to number produced etc.

Glad to see we have varying opinions, exactly what I was looking for when starting this thread.

I guess like anything, it's what matters to the potential buyer and their use for the car.

You might want a project to learn from and a fun car to own and use. This can be achieved with a either a cheaper shell or one that commands more of a premium.

I reckon it will become more important in the years ahead when people start collecting these cars, at that point I'm certain, the vin plate and history will come into play more.

£1200 would get you a decent shell a couple of years back, but a TT6 shell seems to be quite tough to obtain these days.

Ironically i would love to get hold of a late late facelift JDM manual shell personally.....lol trades anyone?

It would be great if the Supra parts and spares market got a revival from some sort of aftermarket or blueprint type set up but I think they are doomed to be a classic classic sooner rather than later unfortunately :(

I think they're worth more because of the value of UK specs, but also the reduced insurance premiums. If you specifically mention the insurance in the ad, you could probably get away with adding a few hundred £ on to the price of an equivalent j-spec shell.

Of course, the main issue will be getting a clean UK shell.

To one person, a early shell with be worth more because its one of the first to roll off the line etc etc

To anothher, a late shell will be worth more because itll be the most recently produced.

All silly stories someones got in their head to put a high price tag on something. People like stories...

and Money

:D

Personally I could care less, the only factors for me would be the auto vs trans tunnel & hard vs aero as it could mean extra work, but still not the end of the world.

I guess if you go down the purist route and care about resale value and rarity then of course rarer TT6 models will always demand more. Always like reading the yanks threads about ludicrous money being spent on the 98 quicksilver supra's.

The good thing I found about starting with a shell when I got mine was it's a way for someone to get a car that they would never normally be able to afford then when ever you get some spare cash you can get more of the puzzle and have fun at the weekend putting it all together. I paid £400 for a silver TT auto shell about 3 years ago I decided to go down the V8 route which just made things even cheaper. If you look on ebay you can get shells of pretty much anything skylines rx7s cosworths evos imprezas it will work out an expensive way to build a car but you build it your way but if part of owning cars like this is the enjoyment of working on them its the best way to go. Its like being a kid again and getting lego models :thumbs:

• 3 years later...
I wouldn’t sell my fresh import (never seen Uk roads) early facelift rsp tt6 shell unless a very good offer was made, but I am trying to collect the parts to put it back on the road👍

Best of luck, I’m on the other side of that rainbow just now, so it’s time for assembly :).

With any classic car its what is on the V5 that dictates the value of a shell. You only have to look at some of the clear title sales in the USA for wrecks of vintage classics that command up to $10k with very little metal actually left. So, if anyone can pick up TT6 shells for a few £'thousands with an accompanying V5 my recommendation would be buy as many as you can afford and can store in any condition. Those babies are going to be worth lots and lots of money, rebuilt or not rebuilt.