The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Advice for a newbie

Karl M N

I've been looking at supras for a while now, and could use some advice.

TT manuals seem to be going up in price. How viable would it be to buy an NA with the intention of converting it to TT ? I feel like if I don't get my hands on a supra now, it'll cost me.

My advise would be to buy a tt auto a lot of people on here like there tt auto so don't rule it out until you've tried it then if you feel the need start saving for a v160/v161 or r154. This way you've got an original tt. The cheapest way to get a tt manual supra will always be to put a 1jz into an na manual however the way prices are going don't expect to pay sub 5k for a nice na manual. Both my Supras are auto and I'm happy the way they are it's all personal preference though :thumbs:

If you want a TT buy a TT right off the bat, if you want the 6 speed manual you best get saving as the prices for these are only going one way. You can convert an auto to a manual at a later date but with the prices climbing as they are is probably going to cost you more in the long run.

Guest knebworth01

Hi,

Yes, just buy a TT straight off, no point in messing about.

People get hung up about the Auto for no good reason, it drives much better than the manual and you have the bonus of knowing its never been over-revved!

Manual is only worth having if you're planning mega power.

it drives much better than the manual and you have the bonus of knowing its never been over-revved!

Manual is only worth having if you're planning mega power.

not sure I agree with your statement but each to their own!

Karl - Manuals and autos are great in their own right, I would get out for a ride along in a tt, na, nat-t manual and auto if you can and see what you think, plenty of helpful members on here who would no doubt give you a ride at meet etc. If your ever up my way I would certainly take you out for a spin! As Im sure lots of people will say once decided what you like its best to buy it to that spec and save in the long run, unless you specifically want a project :) Just my opinion mate hope it helps :thumbs:

Thanks again guys. Have decided to aim for a tt auto. Hopefully after getting my current car mot'd and sold. I can't find many tt autos

On the market right now so it's hard to judge what my budget should be. I'm hoping around the 10k mark should sort me out

Hi,

People get hung up about the Auto for no good reason, it drives much better than the manual and you have the bonus of knowing its never been over-revved!

I don't know where people get this idea from, every one of the JZ cars Ive owned has been auto, every one thrashed and bounced off the limiter lol.

To the OP, theres not many Supras around at the moment full stop, best advice is to hold out and don't buy based on how big the Rotas are or how gaudy the kit, get underneath it because thats where the problems are nowadays.