The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Headlight refurbishment?

Guest Ec1202014

Guest Ec1202014

Guys,

Not sure if it was on this forum (Supra forum) or an Evo forum I used to be part of but... Is there a member on here who supplies refurbed lights? And like a PX? i.e. you send your ones and he sends you a decent set back?....

Could be the wrong forum but worth a shot.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Ec1202014

I'm still looking for someone to do these as Scotts not currently doing the refurbs due to an ongoing dispute. A shame as was highly recommended on here.

So if anyone else does them then please get in touch.

I used this method on Saturday for polishing the lenses. It works really well and the lights come up like new :-)

Instead of stopping at 2000/2500, I used 3000, 5000 and 7000 grits as well.

And instead of doing it with the lights still on the car I took them out, didn't want to risk damaging my new paintwork.

It's a bit of work but well worth it ... about 45 mins to an hour per lens

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?20994-How-To-PlastX-Headlight-Restoration-%28Step-by-w-Pics%29#vARPf57oCBIxCZ76.97

but didnt you make a mess in the oven.......... Lol

Guest Ec1202014
I used this method on Saturday for polishing the lenses. It works really well and the lights come up like new :-)

Instead of stopping at 2000/2500, I used 3000, 5000 and 7000 grits as well.

And instead of doing it with the lights still on the car I took them out, didn't want to risk damaging my new paintwork.

It's a bit of work but well worth it ... about 45 mins to an hour per lens

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?20994-How-To-PlastX-Headlight-Restoration-%28Step-by-w-Pics%29#vARPf57oCBIxCZ76.97

Great tutorial thanks but I thought most of the yellow hazing was on the inside as well as outside the J-Spec supra lamps?

Great tutorial thanks but I thought most of the yellow hazing was on the inside as well as outside the J-Spec supra lamps?

It seems that the yellowing is mostly on the outside. That was my experience.

One of my lenses in particular was quite yellow, sitting exposed to the elements for close to 5 years.

Came up like new. To look at them now you couldn't tell they are not glass until you touch them.

Guest Ec1202014
It seems that the yellowing is mostly on the outside. That was my experience.

One of my lenses in particular was quite yellow, sitting exposed to the elements for close to 5 years.

Came up like new. To look at them now you couldn't tell they are not glass until you touch them.

Ok cool, worth a go then! I'll get the kit and report back when done.

Thanks again.

I used the following grades of sandpaper used wet, with a single drop of washing up liquid in the water.

Change the water for clean fresh water after each sanding.

1000 grit, 1500, 2000, 2500, 3000, 5000, and 7000

With each change of grit sand at 90 degrees to the previous sanding, and keep the paper and the lens wet.

Guest Ec1202014

Well I did them! I went for Autoglym headlight restorer kit (was no mequirers in stock and after reading reviews on the Autoglym kit I was sold).

So they're 100% better and all for £22 and a few hours am work!

Will try get some before and after pics up later

Guest Ec1202014
They came up very well.

Don't forget to use some kind of sealant to protect all your hard work :-)

Ordered some Gtechniq G4 today!