The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Thoughts on this one please.

BoostJunky86

Big old laggy turbo,

I've never seen claims for 700bhp out of a GT28 before. Didn't think it went to that kind of power. Maybe those who know this turbo inside out can confirm if 700bhp is possible. The seller is listed as Irish so you'd be dealing in Euros. I'd stick to someone selling a car off here if you want to go big bhp. At least then there is likely to be a history behind the build and the car and importantly, the seller to.

I've never seen claims for 700bhp out of a GT28 before. Didn't think it went to that kind of power. Maybe those who know this turbo inside out can confirm if 700bhp is possible. The seller is listed as Irish so you'd be dealing in Euros. I'd stick to someone selling a car off here if you want to go big bhp. At least then there is likely to be a history behind the build and the car and importantly, the seller to.

I'm assuming it is a spelling mistake and actually a T88-29d, there is no such thing as a t28-29d :)

James's car is a great buy too :thumbs:

Those Greddy turbo manifolds are VERY prone to cracking, the turbine housing is from a diesel and erodes with the high EGT's of a petrol engine and the turbine blades look like a mouse has nibbled their extremities. It may not be possible to have it rebuilt. It will be as laggy as hell. The Jap Ohlins it will have will probably be leaking or knocking, and although I can rebuild them they will need new piston rods, new top bearings and seals and new pistons, and it ain't a cheap job. The spring rates may well be more drift than Dartford, and the ECU will have limited mappers available. Budget on the worst case scenario for those items unless you are 110% sure about them.

Negative? Me?? :)

imageimageimage

Looks properly clean underneath

Turbo kit/shocks have only covered 3000km

As far as I can tell.

I like James car but there's a big difference in price and I also know his has been driven in the U.K./Scotland as a daily from what I can gather. Not knocking his car but Scotland isn't famous for its pleasant winters lol.

That does look very clean underneath, any photos of the sill returns and floor box sections, a moments careless use of a trolley jack can do a LOT of nasty damage? If they are totally undamaged it's an unusually good underbody from what I can see. There are some real rusty MKIV's around these days. Shame it doesn't have the matching Alcon rear brake kit.

That is nice, it's obviously been well cared for, and / or had some very expensive restoration. The brakes are especially nice :cool:

However, it is still not up to the same level as James's IMO, to get it up to that standard would cost thousands.

However, it is still not up to the same level as James's IMO, to get it up to that standard would cost thousands.

I'm struggling with that comparison as well?! Is it the fact that it's facelift and vvti that's making people compare them? The colour?

The cars have the same ECU, virtually exactly the same Turbo kit(par the turbo itself). This car has been serviced and looked after by Top Secret in Japan and has the history to prove. It also hasn't been driven through two salty scottish winters, and if the condition of the red car underneath is as good as the photos imply, then it's up there with the cleanest I've ever seen.

Body-wise the paint may be better( James's has a fair few marks), or it may be worse(needs viewing as the pictures are crap).

I'm also not taking a personal dig at James's car, just wondering where the 1000's of pounds to be spent come from? :)

Personally, with a stock bonnet, the wheels repainted and facelift lights front and rear, the red car would be a stunner for me!

Vvti and facelift were the points I was getting at. :)

VVTi isn't a must, but it's definitely a desirable extra. More torque, more of the time and improved turbo spool.

James's car is younger, again, not a major point, but preferable. Fitting facelift lights to a pre facelift would cost the best part of £1k now, and they do look much nicer. You also get the nicer dash panels, and James's car has a really fancy Apexi dash setup.

I don't know about who services James's car in Japan, but I do know Jurgen sourced it through Global Auto. They are a very highly respected Japanese dealer, who only sell the best examples.

I'm also not taking a personal dig at James's car, just wondering where the 1000's of pounds to be spent come from? :)

Obviously the need for a black respray, facelift lights, new seats and a cool dash like mine has. :cool: :lol:

Just for reference, my car hasn't been driven through bad winters. For the first one, I had a broken ankle so couldn't use it even if I wanted to, then this winter just gone it wasn't driven from October until the start of February. Not trying to big up my car - just wanted to clarify!

If that red car is in super mint condition then great, it'd be a good buy.

Naturally, I don't think mine is a bad choice either :D

Vvti and facelift were the points I was getting at. :)

VVTi isn't a must, but it's definitely a desirable extra. More torque, more of the time and improved turbo spool.

James's car is younger, again, not a major point, but preferable. Fitting facelift lights to a pre facelift would cost the best part of £1k now, and they do look much nicer. You also get the nicer dash panels, and James's car has a really fancy Apexi dash setup.

I don't know about who services James's car in Japan, but I do know Jurgen sourced it through Global Auto. They are a very highly respected Japanese dealer, who only sell the best examples.

So maybe £1500 for the work I mentioned? Depends who you got to do it ofc, buy agree there is an outlay of work I'd personally want to perform.

VVTI makes no odds for me, with a modern turbo like a 6266 it would be spooling faster than you'd want it to anyway! Plus with aftermarket cams they rattle at idle annoyingly.

Dash panels, imo a totally stock Pre-facelift dash with TRD gauges is the ultimate(again my personal choice), and I'm not a fan of that defi dash. I just have horrible visions of how the stock loom may have been cut up to fit it(maybe it uses it's own sensor loom, no experience with it)

Basically we've proven nothing here as it comes down to personal taste haha!

Edited by TheTurtleshead (see edit history)