The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Brakes - Definitely worth checking the seals!

Sheefa

Hi all

Well after purchasing new pads and discs what turned out to be a simple job has become a larger ballache than anticipated. Saying that I'm damn grateful for it......! See enclosed broken seals and stuck, rusty Pistons on my front calipers. To be honest I didn't notice any real problems under braking, yes the brakes were no comparison to my new company car, but I thought this might just be the lads initially. Good job I did purchase pads/discs and noticed these. They were falling to bits.

Definitely worth sticking your head round the calipers and checking the rubber boots and seals too.

attachment.php?attachmentid=210602&stc=1&d=1459708635

attachment.php?attachmentid=210601&stc=1&d=1459708635

attachment.php?attachmentid=210600&stc=1&d=1459708635

attachment.php?attachmentid=210599&stc=1&d=1459708635

Thankfully Glanza_Mike helped me out today in removing the very stubborn siezed piston and replacing all the seals and cleaning up the bores and Pistons themselves. We used a lot of wet and dry, brake cleaner and rags! Made sure each piston was smooth with no raised imperfections? One caliper is now all shiny and fitted back on to the car. Massive thank you Mike as I was screwed without another person here (pumping the brakes, removing siezed piston, bleeding system, cleaning etc!). Too man :thumbs:

attachment.php?attachmentid=210603&stc=1&d=1459708897

attachment.php?attachmentid=210604&stc=1&d=1459708897

Got to deep clean the other one tonight, joy oh joy.

Bought a new set of seals and boots etc for the rears from the good gentleman Chris Wilson so will be doing those next at some stage very soon :)

Greg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I'm painting mine atm, the insides of the front pistons seem quite rusted but the seals look fine and the brakes were working 100% before removal. Reckon it'll be grand?

It's normal for the insides to be rusty. Check the rubber seals around the neck of the pistons. To do a thorough job, I'd recommend removing the caliper from the disc, put some wood where the disc would usually go, and pump the brakes to get get the pistons out (not too far, you don't want any of the pistons to pop out though!). You can get a good look at the rubber seal/dust boot, check for splits.

Your guide was brilliant, thanks mate. Yeah bought a set of new pistons which are 2mm smaller in length but shouldn't make a massive difference. Only using them as replacement for badly pitted ones. Cheers.

Glad it helped mate :)

here is the guide I do some years ago for others http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?244873-uk-brake-refurb&highlight=brake

It's normal for the insides to be rusty. Check the rubber seals around the neck of the pistons. To do a thorough job, I'd recommend removing the caliper from the disc, put some wood where the disc would usually go, and pump the brakes to get get the pistons out (not too far, you don't want any of the pistons to pop out though!). You can get a good look at the rubber seal/dust boot, check for splits.

Yep agreed. To be fair you can see the condition of your rubber boots without removing the caliper just be looking without the pads, still with caliper in situ on disc. When I removed all my seals they were actually in great condition, it was the boots that were badly corroded and pistons needed cleaning up properly.

I wonder if the pistons you've got are LS400 ones? They're the same diameter as the UK ones, may explain why they're slightly shorter :)

Oddly mate the engineer/manufacturer stated that they are suited for an NA? Not heard of them being shorter before but unlikely anyone has done a side by side comparison. Diameter is spot on and literally 2mm difference in length. I've taken the two best Pistons from each caliper and cleaned and re-used these and then added the two new ones to one side of each caliper. Looking forward to testing them out soon........once Mike gets his ass round here again and helps bleeds my brakes :)