The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Storage for a supra

stevie_b

I wasn't going to post this, but my wife has persuaded me.

An opportunity has come up for me to own a fairly original TT6. I have the purchase money, but I'm struggling to come up with a solution for storing it. I can't store it at my home, and a lockup is impractical for security, insurance and practical reasons, e.g. keeping the battery charged.

Ideally I'd store it at a professional car storage place like this: http://www.autolocker.co.uk/

The problem here is the cost, at £1200+/year. It's the going rate for storage, but I don't have the spare cash on top of all the other ownership costs. My head is telling me that if I can't manage £1200 per year for storage, then it's not the car for me. But my heart really wants it.

I own an NA which I love. It's great for tinkering with, not too hard to work on, and I'm not afraid to drive it around, leave it overnight if needed, etc. It's a great hobby car, and occasional 2nd transport if my daily driver is off the road for whatever reason. I'm looking to own the TT6 for different reasons: to drive it occasionally, but to keep it pristine and original.

Any thoughts, advice, suggestions?

buy it and drive it and dont make it a garage queen but still can keep it in mint condition. Then again you maybe spending over the 1200 a year on maintaining it to a high standard?

The maintenance is separate: I've already budgeted for that. The problem for me is storage. I phoned up a few insurance companies, and the consensus was that it must be garaged overnight. I would have to garage it anyway for my own peace of mind. I'm not keen on lockups, and professional storage is too expensive for me to justify. I've been considering barn storage, but I don't know where to start with something like that: I'm not sure insurance would be happy either.

What's wrong with normal storage?

Disconnect the battery and start up every few weeks.

Having a working alarm would be a condition of insurance. If I disconnect the battery, it wouldn't be covered. Also, insurance companies tend to want to have the car garaged at the home address. I think they're Ok with professional storage with security measures etc, but not with a lockup.

Are you a member on piston heads? There will be far more folks who store cars on there and may have a cost effective solution.

Thank you. I've just registered and will ask now. Unfortunately my TT6 deal will fall through in a day or so if I don't get something sorted out, but here goes...

Buy it first, then worry about storing it lol

A bit of rain not going to hurt for 6 months or so while you sort something out

When I had my MR2 turbo 14 years ago I found an old couple in the next town with a double garage which had electrics which I rented out from them until I had my own garage

I purchased a top quality car cover six weeks back, due to the special liner and a few secure straps, it is great, no dirt dust,water, leaves, bird crap etc, BUT it is in my drive way and i have a back EMF battery charger fitted, if the last two facilities are not possible for your situation, then the suggestion to seek out a friend or some one else who could rent you their garage.