The mkiv Supra Owners Club

tyreleader - be careful

jot_ie

Be careful buying tyres from Tyreleader.

They are selling old and out of date tyres.

Over the weekend, I ordered some Michelin Pilot Sports tyres. Advertised at €409 for a pair. (If it looks too god to be true it probably is)

They did have a dot code of 2007. At the time I thought it was a standard of some kind, but it turns out to be a manufacturing date .... 20th month of 2007.

When I tried to cancel the order, (it took ages to get a response through their ticketing system), I was told they had already been dispatched, but the order was showing them still in the warehouse and no tracking number.

They said I could refuse to accept the tyres when they arrive and they would be returned.

Upon the tyres getting back to their origin I would be refunded but with a charge of €25 per tyre - something they don't widely advertise.

Anyway, thankfully it was just the two back ones I ordered and not all 4.

Here in Ireland our NCT (National Car Test, similar to MOT), can fail a car with tyres older than 6 years, and I am sure other countries have similar laws.

So, ensure you check you DOT numbers and learn what they mean, as old tyres are dangerous, even if they are "new".

Lesson learned here, stay safe :-)

John

Their customer support is shockingly bad.

They still owe me a bloody tyre over a year later, but just moved on cause I wasn't getting anywhere with them.

Cant disagree with you on that, its worse than rubbish.

I have seen a lot of posts on the web from people who cancelled orders only to be told (after a long wait) that their order had been dispatched.

I'm thinking they deliberately wait.

I for one will not be going back to them

Yeah they do state the age of the tyres for the cheaper discount ones, hence why they are discounted. I've had nothing but good experiences with them. I can't find anyone can beat them on price for new tyres, and they use DPD for deliveries and they are spot on.

Yer always been fine for me no issues at all..

But I have never tried to use there customer services. Never had too.

But under the sales of good act as you haven't actually seen the item you and legally send the item back with 14 days.. I guess they have covered that but for a charge. Most probably to cover the expense of the delivery company.

Edited by a98pmalcolm (see edit history)

I'm sure there are very many happy customers who have purchased from them, as there are many unhappy customers too.

I put this here more to alert anyone to the significance of the Dot codes.

They have 2 login versions, one labeled as "pro" which would give the impression that its for trade, and the other for the ordinary consumer.

Not every ordinary consumer knows how to read the dot codes or their significance.

I find it very irresponsible to offer potentially dangerous tyres for sale in a manner that the general unsuspecting public can purchase them.

Should companies like this not have a duty of care to their customers??.

They do surely realise that the tyres in the sizes I was buying were for a performance car. 315's

Either just offer them to the trade with dot numbers or allow them to be sold to the consumer but with a clear indication of their age.

It was pure luck I found out the significance of the codes as otherwise I would be happily be awaiting my tyres that could potentially kill me/my partner/ kids/ friends.

I know that sounds terribly dramatic but it its not a lie either.

To be honest I found the whole experience to have an air of shadiness and underhandedness.

I cancelled the order in good time while the tyres were still in the warehouse, I could see the cart number, and they had not gone for dispatch as their was no tracking number

The lack of customer service and delay getting back to me was unacceptable, and I cant help but thing they deliberately delayed until the tyres were almost dispatched.

When they did eventually reply the were able to give me a tracking number within 5 mins.

I will be refusing the delivery when it arrives and the €50 it will cost will be the price for a valuable lesson, well worth learning

I don't understand the significance of the 'Pro' login that you have mentioned, that's for traders. Did you sign up for a Pro account?

I've just visited the site to see if they've changed the descriptions of the tyres as to see if it's confusing now from when I last used their website. It's still states the year of the older tyres, and the cheaper price of those ones compared to exactly the same tyre but not stating a date (new tyres) seems perfectly simple to understand to me, and what I realised when I first used the site.

Hi.

No I didn't sign up with a Pro trade account, just the ordinary one.

This is the discription of the tyres from when I bought them

Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 315/30 ZR18 98Y DOT 2007, N2

As I mentioned earlier I foolishly thought that the Dot 2007 was a manufacturing standard or type.

Now that I know otherwise, it is indeed very simple.

I do still think it is morally unacceptable to offer tyres that are not fit for purpose, for sale to the general public.

For me it's just a lesson learned, not the end of the world :-).

I don't know the MOT requirements over here in regards to date of tyres, but like you I wouldn't touch tyres that old either.

Perhaps there's uses people buy old tyres for, drifting maybe.

The limit here is 6 years, after that the car can fail.

I'm sure there are uses for them but I can't imagine what use 9 year old tyres could be.

A trailer perhaps :-)

They are safe and perfectly fine if kept in good conditions.

They aren't illegally or morally ripping of Joe public.

They clearly state the year of manufacture.

There is nothing wrong with it

In that case what's with the 5/6 year MOT rule stated above - or is that not the case?

That's in Ireland.

Got it - so no such rules in the UK? Thereby the assumption being that there isn't a safety risk of running an older tyre on a car.

That being the case why not sell the older tyre at the same price?

They are safe and perfectly fine if kept in good conditions.

They aren't illegally or morally ripping of Joe public.

They clearly state the year of manufacture.

There is nothing wrong with it

I can fully understand that if something is stored and treated correctly it can greatly increase its lifespan.

But surely at 9 years old they could not be as good as new tyres, as the rubber hardens and becomes more brittle with age.

I myself would not be happy to put these on a car that's capable of taking them right up to their stated maximum design speed.

As I mentioned earlier I foolishly thought that the Dot 2007 was a manufacturing standard or type.

I am in no way having a dig, but unfortunately this is the heart of the matter.

I too have used them twice before, the first time I was just after some cheap tyres for an old run around and I got a cracking deal, didn't really look into what I was buying.

More recently I was after some 315 tyres also, and I couldn't believe the prices compared to other retailers, I mean I was saving a good few hundred quid.... Which made me question the price and that when I noticed the DOT on the listing. If I remember correctly, I'm sure it is also explained on the website what all of the abbreviations mean. I also Googled tyre age and related topics and it seems 6 years on a car is acceptable in use and 10 years on a shelf in good conditions. But each tyre is different in terms of how it will react to storage and temperature and wear etc.

I'd have no worries putting an older tyre on a lesser powered car if I knew it had been stored correctly but yeah like yourself not on my Supra. At the end of the day the tyres are the only thing holding the car on the road and comprising there is not a short cut I'd take personally.

As you said, leave it as a lesson learned and in future if a deal seems too good to be true, it probably is. ;)

I can fully understand that if something is stored and treated correctly it can greatly increase its lifespan.

But surely at 9 years old they could not be as good as new tyres, as the rubber hardens and becomes more brittle with age.

I myself would not be happy to put these on a car that's capable of taking them right up to their stated maximum design speed.

If a tyre is stored on a cool, dark place its not really an issue, its the UV light from the sun that breaks the rubber down.