The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Krylon Paint Job ( am i mad ? )

supramat

hi guys , just wanted to get some opinion's on diy paint jobs

I know i should save and get a proper spray job but its just not financially feesable with having a family etc , so im considering doing it myself with rattle cans. Have done lots of research online and i would be looking at a matte colour as its easier do get a half decent finish with cans , dont fancy trying a gloss finish as to much to go wrong

Im looking at Krylon paint as ive used it for years on airsoft weapons , im thinking about matte / satin white as im not to keen on matte black. i have a good size workshop to prep and paint in.

just looking for opinions , or anybody with experience of rattle can paint jobs !!

The cars paint is awfull at current , various different shades of silver and in very poor condition , was going to by a palm sander , some diff grit paper and follow some online guides

my thinking is that it cant look any worse than it does at the mo , and i feel pretty confident that id end up with a half decent finish.

just wanted to get peoples take on it.

I remember years ago a guy did his Supra Matt black on his drive with cans. Looked OK from memory, wont be great but will be better than it currently is...

Your thinking of evinx's old veilside supra. And please dont do a whole car in rattle cans.

If you need to clean up the outside, as a DIY job I would way go and wrap it, I personally dont like wraps either, but out of the two options I would choose this.

To be fair if you do the prep work properly with a matt job in mind, it can turn out good, the hammerite held up really well

to be honest any painting is not that hard at all, i resprayed my old "xr3i" back in the day with rattle cans, aslong as you prep it well and have a clean space to work in its fine! for the price of a proper spray gun i would suggest its a worthwhile investment! but other than that i wouldnt bother with matte just crack on with the decent stuff!

If you're after a matte finish anyway I'd go with

. It's fool proof and if it goes completely pear shaped you can just peel it off. Plus if you finally get enough money for a proper respray the plastidip will peel off and you'll have minimal prepwork to do. If you paint it with something like hammeright you (or the next owner) will probably have to sand the whole lot off before a respray which wouldn't be fun!

There are loads of guides on youtube and a few people on here have already done it with quite good results.

Id give the shiney paint a go, Now days you can get 2PK primer in a can, activate it at the bottom and paints flawlessly. I done my driver door with it. Can do the whole car if you know how to do it. And it can come out very good, taking your time will be the key.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2K-Clear-Coat-Aerosol-Lacquer-Clear-Coat-Spray-PROXL-PROCLEAR-200ML-/290907297927?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368

dam it , so many options - was set on krylon but spent a couple of hours looking at plastidip , now this ^

i was so sure about the krlon route but now im not sure , plastidip looks good from what ive seen , ill have to look into this 2PK stuff now !!!

if i go down the plastidip route should i do parts seperatly , ie remove bumpers , hood boot etc or just spray the whole car , all the vids ive seen they just do the whole car in one go ?

Edited by supramat (see edit history)